• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Sax-Zim bog tour

buzzsaw

We'll me and a friend (Scott) took a trip up to the Bog and met up with Jonny. Now these two guys have been here before and knew the ropes, I was a wide eyed kid in a candy store thinking about all kinds of things. Here are a few of my efforts.

Pine Grosbeak (male)

92444028.jpg

The female Pine Grosbeak.

92463933.jpg

92462985.jpg

92446222.jpg

All photos were taken in Manual mode, center weighted exposure between ISO 400-800 depending on the available light using the Better Beamer. (1/250 sec)

Then the quiet flying bird, the Gray Jay decided to stop by.

92463091.jpg

Thats all for now. \:\)

First off, thanks for the kind words guys!

Jim, I was using my "go to" lens, the Nikkor 300mm F/2.8 (non VR) lens. I like it alot as it is tack sharp and focuses oh so fast. I also had a Nikkon 1.4x teleconverter on.

Finn, I"m big on doing my best to make the backgrounds nice as I consider them as important as the subject... they all work together to get the image a person sees in his mind.

Mariner, the Better beamer can be found with a Google search (no links allowed) I attached it to my SB800 flash and it basically throws my flash farther than the SB800 can do by itself. In flat light or bad light its a no brainer... on a nice sunny day I'll throw it on after the sun rises higher in the sky to get rid of the shadows and keep the details very visable. They are inexpensive ($35.00)

You have some beautiful images Mike! I can't imaginge a better result with these. I like the two shots that you see the back of the bird looking over the shoulder, not a pose often seen or captured this well.

Originally Posted By: Dbl
You have some beautiful images Mike! I can't imaginge a better result with these. I like the two shots that you see the back of the bird looking over the shoulder, not a pose often seen or captured this well.

Thanks, Dan. I like the result based on exposure and clarity etc... but I was too close and didn't leave enough room for a better composition. Thats just me calling a spade a spade... I'm sure Stevo will agree. \:\)

Superb shots Mike!.....hard to choose a best image...all great!...well,I kinda really like the gray jay I guess grin.gif....really glad you guys had a decent day and smiled grin.gif going back to the cities,a good feeling of well being and some nice pics for the time spent........been hard trying to get on the FM site here!just got on a few minutes ago!...geesh! I was in "FMshock!" 8 hours and not being able to get to FM! cry.gif