• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing Trip

Walleye #1

Is it ice fishing season yet??

Bring ont the cold.

Anyway, I am in the midst of planning an ice fishing excursion. Last year we went out of Judd's on Winnie and now that isn't going to be an option it sounds. Any other suggestions for Winnie?

If not Winnie, anyone have any other suggestions for lakes in that area or other parts of MN? I would love to go to LOW, but it can be quite a drive from SE MN.

Just looking for some thoughts or advice on lakes and resorts.

Keep the lines tight and auger blades sharp, ice fishing season will be here in a little while.

Walleye #1

W1, LOTW may be quite a haul for you but the winter season is usually superb, and the fishing can be down right easy at times. Lots of good resorts offering the basics and whatever else you may want. The early ice around mid december or so and into january is usually prime. Below is a link to a post I put up a couple years back with a little bit of wintertime LOTW fishing info.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/forum1/HTML/000227.html

Wherever you go enjoy!

Regards....fiskyknut

seabass-
Looking at walleye, perch, and northern. I wouldn't mind a good adventure either? Suggestions for both are welcome. Last year we caught some realy jumbos on Winnie and the year, before we caught a few eyes on Mille Lacs. What are your thoughts?

Throw them out. Oh by the way, how much fishing did you get done on Basswood this summer??

Walleye #1

thanks fisky - LOW is one of my options

I agree with Fisky !! You can't beat LOW in December !!! The walleye fishing is almost one-who-thinks-I-am-silly proof. Even I can catch them. grin.gif Plus it makes for a pretty relaxing time when you only have to fish from pre-dawn til about 1 in the afternoon when the bite shuts down.......and than......it's happy hour !! grin.gif or if you're amnitous, Red Lake is only an hour south for the evening crappie bite....although the slabs aren't as easy to find early in the season.
LOTS of great resorts in the LOW area that care about their customers !

In early December on a Saturday morning around 5:30am it looks like the California land rush with all the trucks heading out of Adrian's road.....but once you get out past Pine Island they all scatter and nobody's on anyone elses doorstep. wink.gif

Walleye #1, have we talked before? I fished basswood a total of 5 days this year. It was a little slow during the early season but I guess June and July were really good.

I enjoy ely for ice fishing because I can go fish for lakers in the morning and walleyes at dusk, usually one is or the other is productive. Nice little town and lots of cheap places to stay.

Seabass-
We have had some discussions on the BW forum about Basswood. I made it in 4 times this year, and had great luck each time.It truely is a great lake!! Have you ever ice fished it? I imagine dog sled is the only way to get back in there.

Thanks, for the advice.

Jim W. Where do you like to go on LOW and did you ever get my email I sent about a month ago?

Keep it coming
Walleye #1

LOW is always worth the trip. Why is Winnie out of the question? I had a lot of luck on Winnie last winter for perch and walleye. Mille Lacs is an optiopn of you hit it right. Red Lake for crappies too. Stop by the Metro Area and I can show you some crappie and gill lakes if you're interested? More then happy to fish with someone. LOW is the trip if you ask me though.

Good Fishin,
Matt

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Ron Hunter sold Judd's and it is being shut down for development as of Oct 1st.

LOW is a darn good bet for December walleyes and sauger.

Try Schusters, Walleye Retreat, or Gibbin's Ice Fishing.

Use the Resort Locator by clicking here then scroll down to Lake of the Woods section.

Some of the best places to stay on LOW are listed with links to their websites in the Resort Locator.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-18-2003).]

Winnie is out of the question. I just heard that Judd's was not doing ice fishing this season or resort is possibly closing. Not for sure.

Jim W. I wlll be sure to send you a message again.

Sure sounds like LOW is the getting the most votes on here.

Walleye #1

There are at least 8 resorts that do winter bussness on Winni plus three motels that cater to fisherpeople and there are a handfull of winter resorts on Sand and Bowstring that are within fifteen minuite ride from Winni.

If you have time and you are in the Winni area, you may consider hitting Island Lake, Blackduck Lake, Pimusche, Rabideau and Dora Lakes which have produced well for early ice season walleyes & some decent perch. Then possibly a side trip to Upper Red Lake for the crappies and a chance at a huge pike.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]