• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster vs. Jiffy

Big_D

Well I have decided to hold another year on making a permanent ice house so i can afford one of those Road King trailers. So I have decided to buy a new auger which is the better buy? I know the Strikemaster is faster but i heard it ices up easy. I need help! Even though i wont buy one for another month or two.

------------------
Big D

I second the Eskimo!! I'd used strikemasters until last year and was very happy with them. I got an eskimo Shark last year and it is by far the easiest starting (even at -20 degrees) and best running auger I've ever hung on to.
With my strikemasters I was changing blades around once a month. With the Eskimo I haven't chenged the blades yet after a full season cutting hundreds of holes.

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 09-30-2003).]

I thought the Strikemasters and Jiffy used the same Tecumseh motors? Why would one last longer than the other? Does the gearbox on the Jiffy last longer? I purchased a Jiffy Stealth this year and the only reason I didn't go with Strikemaster Lazers is because I thought the blades wouldn't last as long. Yes, the strikemaster may cut faster, but you are talking seconds not a life time to cut a hole.

There might be a huge archive on this discussion from times past. I agree with Seabass, it's Ford/Chevy all the way. I won't compare because all I've ever had is a Strikemaster. I've had the same one four seasons so far and all I ever had to do was replace the on/off switch because I broke it. The blades are still razor sharp after having cut a bazillion holes, some in 40" of ice. It always starts on the first or second pull. I have always mixed the gas 32:1 and never had a problem. I attribute the reliability to using care and not abusing it (and not borrowing it to other people.) I'd rather cut five or six holes for someone than let them smack my blades into the ice and ruin them. If the blades are not sharp, then the whole machine looks bad. ..As far as differnet models go, the engines are all alot alike-2 or 3 horse 2 strokes. The big differences are weight, gearboxes and cutting blade type. Each manufacturer claims to have the best cutting system. If it starts, runs and cuts a hole through the ice in a short time, then it's probably a good machine. It's up to you to keep it in good shape. 2¢ from me.........T

I own a Strikemaster. Works good for me, it's light, cuts fast, starts easy. I've also heard alot of good things about their customer service.

Strikemaster is located right in Big Lake. Kinda convienent if you ask me.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Kind of a chevy/ford issue. Strike master is made in Minnesota...jiffy in Wisconsin. Both have tecumseh motors. I think that strikemasters are lighter and cut faster. I can't speak for Jiffy, I know Strikemaster has great customer service. I have had my lazer express for two years and love it.

Matchman.....A new gas cap?....That's great news. I forgot to mention that little problem. Can you describe how the new one is made so it soesn't leak? Will it fit the older models as well? I need that for sure.....T

I will try to lead you to buy Jiffy.
I am on their pro staff and I am with Jiffy because I like their product.

Jiffy has been a leader in high tech. innovations. Stealth cutting, teflon surfaces, light weights, heavy -duity gear boxes, etc... have had them in the "front" many times over the years.

Actually, I picked Jiffy because they start so well! Two pulls, they start.... every time. One pull on choke and she "pops", and the next pull on choke off.... starts these babys right up.

I have had to watch guys yank on other brands till they are spewing curse words... and that is when I am glad I have a Jiffy! I have had other brands... and have spewed a few curse words myself!!!!

Jiffys do not ice up, they start easy, they are light, they cut FAST.... all of just what you need in a ice drill.
You'll like your Jiffy.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Could someone please explain why a Tecumseh engine will start better on one brand of auger than another? I can't see where it should make a difference. Fouled plug is one reason. I don't understand why they recommend a 24:1 gas/oil mix either. Mine has run great on 32:1 for four years and never had the plug out of the hole. Those engines are so simple in design, I can't see where one would be better than the next one off the line. Not trying to start anything here (except the engine) but just need to understand the original question........T

Strikemasters are light! However, I honestly havn't picked up a brand new Jiffy model to see how they compare? Anyone have any further input on this?

T-Bone is right..The engines should start and run the same. However, these engines are not all set-up the same in some cases.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I would probably guess they're all good or they wouldn't still be in business.I still use an old Eskimo power auger made in Cumberland,WI. that I bought from my wife's grandfather.If you take care of any of them,they all last and work.Cuts plenty fast for me I guess.But I did talk to a guy last year on the ice with one of them Eskimo Barricuda's and that thing looked awesome.Probably check one of them out when this one has had it.

Catchn, How can you say Jiffys are light? Ive owned lots of augers and Jiffy is probably the heaviest one out there. My Legend with a 8" or 10" auger ways a ton! I agree JIffy is the brand to buy but they arent light. I believe Jiffy should find a way to "take the lead out" of their augers because a lot of people dont buy them because of the weight issue. My 2 cents.

TBone,

The new gas cap has a large rubber flap in the top of the cap so that gas doesn't reach the gasket on the vent screw. Apparently it's a better design. Time will tell. I still think your suggestion of unscrewing the whole cap a little will prevent any leakge from the vent screw. In fact, the guy at D Rock told me that if you just unscrew the cap and tighten it again right after you start it, you should have more than enough air to drill 30 or 40 holes provided the tank isn't totally full. Either way has to be an improvement over the old cap.

Match

The strikemaster 3 blade auger is awesome! That thing cuts through the ice so fast that u better hold on.
But like any other auger there is a draw back. You have to be very careful with the handles in cold weather. Last year when it was really cold I broke 2 handles. One going over bumps on the ice with the ATV and the other was b/c it fell on ice. Strikemaster customer service is good so both times they put new handles on it.
The 3 blade is very nice for re-opening holes. It doesnt jump around and instead it just goes straight down.
Otherwise I like my strikemaster a lot and it does the job just fine.

------------------
Fish ON!

Northlander, I was speaking of Jiffy's new 2 H.P. line in being "light". And sorry for not being specific there.

From their web site:
The 2 H.P. Jiffy Stealth™ Series is lightning quick yet weighs some 7 pounds less than our 3 HP models.
For many, this is the ideal combination!

Stealth™ features: Jiffy Yellow engine shroud, and Cushion Contour handles. Its 12:1 gearbox powers your choice of 8" or 9" D-Ice'r ARMOR™ drill assemblies fitted with new Stealth™ Cutting Techology features:

Stealth™ serrated power point - gives positive starts and smooth easy cutting.
Black D-Ice'r ARMOR™ - prevents power-robbing ice build-up for fast clean cutting performance.
Five cutting surfaces - makes this the fastest and smoothest cutting Jiffy drill ever built.
Serrated Ripper™ Blade - provides the best in super fast and smooth cutting.
Ideal for initial drilling and redrilling of ice holes
Also available with the Jiffy Yellow IceHouse™ Handles - allows easy positioning in ice shelters, even in corners!

Hope that helps... yep, the 3hp models are not so light! I have had the 2 H.P. models and found them to do a great job and I consider them as "light".
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 09-14-2003).]

I have tested Strikemaster augers for the last few years and that is all I will go with. I just about gave away my last Jiffy just to get rid of it. I know they should all run and start the same but that Jiffy was the most cold bloodiest engine I had ever seen. It ran fine after about a dozen holes and after restarting it a dozen times. Even after a few trips to the repair shop it still did not run when cold.

I have found that Strikemaster is lighter, cuts faster and I have never had a problem with mine starting or keeping it running. During the field tests in 2001 of the Lazer 2 h.p. I needed to keep track of the amount of holes drilled and weather temps when drilling. That year alone I drilled 687 holes with my Strikemaster without ever having problems with it. No wonder I was so tired after fishing.

That auger was always stored outside in my truck and no matter how cold it was it always started on the 3rd pull. It would start and die on the second pull. But the 3rd was the one that it always stayed running on. After it was warmed up it always started on the 1st pull. I am not a great one to treat my equipment with kid gloves and I am well...kinda hard on things but the Strike Master has always held up for me.

My vote - 2 h.p. Strikemaster Lazer 10".

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

I think the way they are geared there should not be a problem. I know the guys that I have sold some of my used augers to in the past who still have them and they have not had a problem.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

Even though both use Tech. it doesn't matter if the carb isn't set up properly they will be cold blooded and take a while to warm up. But after all who cares how cold blooded they are as long as they eventually start and run after start that is what is really important. This I know for a fact when I worked a small engine shop I saw 5 Strikemaster to every 1 Jiffy's. I have had a Jiffy that is over 20 years old and it still runs good. But I think that it is time for it to be retired so my next machine will be a new stealth without a question. It is a Ford Vs. Chevy question, but after all we all know that Chevys and Jiffys are the best (LOL).

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Match....I saw that new gas cap today. Looks to be the ticket. The vent screw on them doesn't even have a gasket. It fits on the older engine's tanks too. Guess I'll be putting in an order for that. Then my Lazer Mag should be perfect. Sounds like those red plastic handles are a little brittle. Glad mine was built before those came out....T

T-Bone,

The new caps work really good. I may have an extra one for you. I think I ended up with a couple extras last year. If I can't find them I could get you one next week.

Did you check out that show we talked about in Fargo?
Jeff