• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowshoeing!

Does anyone else snowshoe out there in FM land? I am quite new to this sport. This will be my 2nd winter using them. I own a pair of Atlas Elektras. Here's a pic of my snowshoes:

e46c_1.jpg

So far I've snowshoed on some trails that I blazed around my neighborhood and around some lakes up at the cabin. It's great exercise during the winter when I don't like being stuck in the house anymore! I get really shack nasty if I don't get out. Does anyone have any tips or places for me to go? Has anyone snowshoed Jay Cooke State Park? I'm going to try that next.

"shack nasty" I like it \:D I may have to use this term some time !!!!

Lisa Jay Cook is an awesome park to snowshoe. We did a winter hike in camping trip there a few yrs back. Very cool. We snowshoed some of the trails at that time. That is one of my favorite State Parks, we've hiked it alot.

you've seen the pictures of my daughter, so it's pretty safe to assume that I snowshoe too ;\)

I bought my wife and daughter snowshoes for xmas this year. My wife has a pair of redfeather hike shoes, my daughter a pair of the tubbs youth shoes. Due to the cold weather and travelling, I've only gone out once with my daughter so far this year, hopefully there'll be more opportunities.

My shoes are about 10 years old, they are the tubbs expedition model. I haven't done much shoeing since I've moved back to MN in 2000. I've done quite a bit of snowshoeing in the mountains in mid-Maine, and out in the Wasatch mountains in Utah. A set of good poles is a must if you want to hike steep terrain. My father in law bought me a nice pair of carbon graphite komperdell poles this xmas. they are cherry. Another good investment is a pair of breatheable gaiters. I have a pair of the OR (outdoor research) gore-tex crocodile gaiters. Even with a built in gaiter in your pants, external gaiters are critical to keeping snow out of your boots in deep pow. A good pair of goggles will help your visibility in snow or bright sunlight, as well as keep wind out of your eyes. The hardest thing about wearing glasses while shoeing is that they tend to fog up. Goggles take care of that problem.

Lisa, I haven't been to Jay Cooke to shoe, but it looks like it would be a great place to go. Have fun there!

Great advice about the poles. I, at this point, have been using my XC ski poles when the terrain is not just a flat trail. I will look into investing in a good set of poles.

I actually snowshoe later in the winter more because the days are longer and I can go after work too instead of just on the weekends.

yeah XC poles work, but the nice thing about the snowshoe/trek poles are that they are adjustable. This is nice because often times, snow depths change depending on where you are on the "trail". Also, I like to shorten them up a bit when ascending/descending a mountain (or steep hill in MN). If I'm on a flat trail, I go longer to get a little bit longer glide.

I used to snowshoe a lot when I lived in CO. We would snowshoe up Beaver Creek and snowboard down on full moon nights, and then I have had to use them elk hunting. Recently we started offering "guided" snowshoe trips to Gooseberry Falls through Grand Superior Lodge. I have done about 6 anywhere from a mile up to 4-5 miles. It is a lot of fun and I'm glad I got back into it.

I've also been snowshoeing for a long time. I've basically stuck with traditional hide/ash shoes because I haven't found a pair of modern designs that will float me well. I go about 230 now and have about 50 pounds of camera gear/backpack, and even the largest of the Sherpa, Tubbs and Atlas shoes I've tried out don't do the job.

I sure do like the modern designs, though. Great advance on my old types.

I second the poles. People new to snowshoeing will find poles can be lifesavers, and if you're not sure how much you will get into the sport and so don't want to drop a lot of cash before you're sure, you can find used XC ski poles at a lot of used stores.

Originally Posted By: shiner2367
I used to snowshoe a lot when I lived in CO. We would snowshoe up Beaver Creek and snowboard down on full moon nights

One of my fondest snowshoeing trips was with my father in law in Utah. We were on a moonlight hike above Utah State in Logan, in the Wasatch National Forest. It was a calm clear night with fresh pow. We got pretty close up to a cow moose, which was cool. The best part was when we got to the top of the ridge we got to see the entire overlook of Salt Lake, all lit up. It was amazing.

There's nothing like shoeing at 13000 feet to kick your butt and make you humble again..

I've always loved snowshoeing!...since I was A kid!...and that was a bazillion years ago grin.gif...I haven't put em on this year yet but will as soon as the weather cold snap subsides a "tat"...I'm with ST on the type I prefer,thee old wooden guys from years ago...I had pair of Michigans many years ago and lasted for quite a few winters and quite a few coats of varnish another pair of alaskans after that and finally purchased a new pair from Cabelas 2 christmas's ago(Alaskans again)...nice just to get out and just follow the tracks from different wildlife fox,mink, and be able to go where no one else can ...taking the camera of course grin.gif....

my new alaskans:

Frame_DSCF6788-1copy.jpg

Quote:
There's nothing like shoeing at 13000 feet to kick your butt and make you humble again..

There is not a more honest statement than that! I don't have to tell you DH, but the moon seems a WHOLE lot closer from 13000' feet, not to mention how bright the stars are!

I lived at 10,000 feet for a year in a very small mining town in Colorado, and looking up at the nighttime skies with 10,000 feet of atmosphere out of the way was simply phenomenal.

I brought my snowshoes along but we never had enough snow that winter for me to use them. grin.gif

The trails were in good shape although they were icey and hardpacked. The people without snowshoes that we came across were struggling to keep upright, so I was glad to have the teeth on the bottom for grip.

Lots of deer, and eagle and a few squirrels........plus the ice climbers. All in all it was a good day and the guests enjoyed themselves and that is the important part.