• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail conditions?

juddH

Anyone been on the trails around the Mcgregor Big Sandy area or anywhere in northern MN. The trails were just groomed yesterday in the St.Michael area, this is the first time they have been groomed and they look good, don't know why they waited so long, perhaps the groomer was getting fixed. Let me know how the trails are around your area. Thanks

Thanks for the update, has anyone been up towards the North Shore? Extreme, have you been down towards the Jacobson area or Savanna State Park recently?

I was thinking about heading to the UP, but I don't think we need to go that far! Thanks

I haven't been anywhere but up the Taconite trail in the past couple of days....too darn cold. I would guess that they are fine. We do need some snow for track lube and some poor corners.

The nightlife on Lake Vermilion is good, but there is no strip clubs like Hurley, WI. I wasnt to impressed with alot of places in the UP, seems pretty economically depressed outside of Houghton/ Marquette areas.

Yeah, Big Sandy has great night life as well but no "clubs". You are right, I can't believe the economy in the UP area, you can buy a house next to nothing. With the way the previous winters were here in MN, I was actually thinking about getting some guys together to buy a shack in the UP, it would be pretty easy to rent out to snowmobilers and it would be great for personal use. I can't complain, at least we have snow here this year, keep our fingers crossed!

Sounds like I should do some riding in the range, I think I am missing out!

I have driven from Big Sandy to Side Lake and stayed overnight at a bar with a little motel, forget the name but they had good pizza, but thats the furthest north that I have been on snowmobile. We drive through hibbing in the spring on the way to Canada and I do see a lot of bars...must be a lot of thirsty people around hibbing.

Originally Posted By: juddH
Sounds like I should do some riding in the range, I think I am missing out!

I have driven from Big Sandy to Side Lake and stayed overnight at a bar with a little motel, forget the name but they had good pizza, but thats the furthest north that I have been on snowmobile. We drive through hibbing in the spring on the way to Canada and I do see a lot of bars...must be a lot of thirsty people around hibbing.

;\) I think you are talking about Bimbos .. If so they have great buffalo wings also

Yeah, Bimbos has good wings. Their pizza isnt anything special. The vermilion club has very good pizza. My favorite ride is from Vermilion up the Vermilion river to Crane and on to Voyageurs then back on the Arrowhead trail. Your back will thank you from staying away from the UP. I like to eat up on the Ash River at Ash-Ka-Nam, they have some good-arse cheese curds.

Yeah, I would probably skip the Eveleth and Gilbert "gentlemen's clubs".

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
The nightlife on Lake Vermilion is good, but there is no strip clubs like Hurley, WI. I wasnt to impressed with alot of places in the UP, seems pretty economically depressed outside of Houghton/ Marquette areas.

What do you expect...it's nothing but a bunch of unemployed drunk Indians there!!! I stay in WI or like you said sledneck, Lake Vermillion area is very nice too. I stay away from the UP these days. Their trails are mogul courses and I almost got stabbed by a drunk Indian in a bar when I was just trying to warm up and waiting for my buddies to go and get the truck and trailer for my broke down sled. Apparently they don't take too well to whitey coming into their bars! \:ogrin.gif\:ogrin.gif

GoggleEye

Sorry if I offended you, after my experience in the UP I am just not too keen on the unemployed alcoholic Indians that live on my tax dollars, especially when they threaten to take my life with a knife........and I was also agreeing with sledkneck about the economically depressed area of the UP. I feel the same way about the area. I'd rather ride in WI or MN. Much nicer people and better trails.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
I like to eat up on the Ash River at Ash-Ka-Nam, they have some good-arse cheese curds.

I like that place too, nice building and good food, you can park you sleds on the river and keep an eye on them if you get a table by the window. It gets really busy on Friday and Saturday nights.

We stopped by on a weekday ride once and there was no one in there, I think the owner had been "testing" his bar stock all day.

Can anyone updates on the trail conditions anywhere around Duluth/Ely/Finland areas? I know Duluth up to Finland received rain but not sure if groomers are out after everything froze.....or if the trails are ridable at this point.

Originally Posted By: Lazy Mike
Hey SledNeck, have you been up the Vermilion River this year? Is there a groomed trail up the river and how concerned do you need to be about open water or bad ice? Thanks Mike

The river is usually flatter than a groomed trail!

No concern for open water now, just follow the tracks and you'll be fine.

I havent rode it yet this year, so I dont know what its like.

we had rain here with no snow ontop of that so our trails are like ice roads now.