• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1994 Polaris XLT Special (Triple)

Northlander

I have a 95 XLT Special triple. Only complaint is it is a tempormental starter. Looks like I finally got her figured out and I'm down to 3-7 pulls to get it running. The first year I average 15-20 pulls to get it started. I'm too old for that kind of a workout. ;\)

Borch, Friday of the bash was 17 below and she started in about 12 pulls on full choke. After that about 5 or 6.

How do you start yours when its cold. Seems like once I start it and run it a while on the lake she starts pretty easy after that.

Northlander, I had the same problem when I got mine last February. A friend told me to prime the cold engine as follows:

With the key Off and the ckoke set to Full, , pull the pull cord very slowly so you feel the pistons "thumping". Do this about 3 times, then turn the key On and pull it normal. I found that mine starts quicker doing this.

He said pulling the cord slowly with the key off primes the engine cylinders better. Some brands of sleds even come with primer pumps to do this for you.

I really believe there is something to this as when I first got the sled, it had not been run in a year. I had to pour about 2 ounces of gas into each ofthe cylinders to get it to fire the first time I tried to start it and it started right up. I was sure it would flood it but it seems to like being flooded to start.

This year when I first started it up (with treated gas in the tank), I did the slow pull method and it started right up. I was happy!

Sorry I forgot I posted in here. I generally give it 2 pulls with choke with the key off when it's really cold and then full choke until it pops off. Then It's usually a few more to keep it running without the choke.

I picked up a 95XLT for pulling the Voyager & it is doing the job. It is a little tempremental to start.The colder the temps the easier it starts. It too seemes to want to flood to start.After the inital start it pops of with just a tap of the key. I paid 1100.00 & found an 8x8 trailer for 350.00 so I couldn't be happier.I would like to find a three place trailer next fall.My three year old grandaughter could ride with me all day.

I dont have electric start, I have to pull mine. Im getting better at figuring out what it likes to get started in the cold. When its above 0 its no problem.

Now I need to find a trailer deal like you did. Sucks borrowing a trailer to use my new toy ya know. ;\)

Originally Posted By: haugy
Yea so cementhead what do you do to the clutch???

here ya go,,,On the primary get a 160/300 spring,run it with 10mb weights..on the secondary run a polaris T1 helix which allows for a fast upshift , with a polais blue secondary spring in hole #3,,,,, with this set up run it at about 8500rpm and you will find the xlt likes it there...

have fun ;\)

hey cementhead--I just purchased a 2000 Polaris Triumph. It's essentially the XLT but in the Gen II chasis. It has reverse and a M-10 in it. Nice sled but I'm having some issues.

First, I could only get the sled to do 70 (I weigh about 220#). We put a 25 tooth sprocket in for the top-end--can't do anything on the low-end with the reverse in it. It seemed to solve some of the problem-now it'll do 90. But my 2000 500XC still blows it away (unfortunately it is now my wife's)

The past owner did a clutch job on it but the rpms hit all of the right marks (2000 idle, 4500 engage, 8500 wide open).

The one problem that I haven't been able to figure out is the fuel mileage. I'm lucky to get 8mpg and usually it is close to 6mpg. I figured I should've gotten around 10 maybe 12 depending on if the wife and kid are riding with me.

I have completely cleaned the carbs, run Sea-foam through it, synchroed the carbs--still no idea.

Got any suggestions or are my expectations too high.

The sled has 1500 miles on it and I bought it for $1500.

Originally Posted By: lakerunner
hey cementhead--I just purchased a 2000 Polaris Triumph. It's essentially the XLT but in the Gen II chasis. It has reverse and a M-10 in it. Nice sled but I'm having some issues.

First, I could only get the sled to do 70 (I weigh about 220#). We put a 25 tooth sprocket in for the top-end--can't do anything on the low-end with the reverse in it. It seemed to solve some of the problem-now it'll do 90. But my 2000 500XC still blows it away (unfortunately it is now my wife's)

The past owner did a clutch job on it but the rpms hit all of the right marks (2000 idle, 4500 engage, 8500 wide open).

The one problem that I haven't been able to figure out is the fuel mileage. I'm lucky to get 8mpg and usually it is close to 6mpg. I figured I should've gotten around 10 maybe 12 depending on if the wife and kid are riding with me.

I have completely cleaned the carbs, run Sea-foam through it, synchroed the carbs--still no idea.

Got any suggestions or are my expectations too high.

The sled has 1500 miles on it and I bought it for $1500.

Hey ,, lakerunner... to bad i didnt get the chance to check out the site before i went up to my parents place for a few days to attend MSHA training for 3 days.. I could have took a run over to eveleth and we could have tinkered around with it bit. My first question is this ,, did the previous owner just do the clutch alone ? the second question is ,, is it studded up .. My faster xlt is all reworked up including a pile of studs to get it hooked up .. carbs are also set up with a temp gauge to run what what some would call to the lean side .. doing that requires you to do some checking once in awhile so you dont burn it down... all in all it sounds like you got a decent deal on that sled thou

All the previous (and only owner did) was put in reverse, the m-10 and the epi clutch kit.

He didn't mess around with the carbs or anything.

I did a compression check on it and every cyl is right at 140psi which is perfect. But somehow, I'm blowing gas through. It is going into the crankcase--no black smoke and the motor hums. I do though end up with what I feel is a lot of blow-by in the air box--around a 1/16 of an inch. I'm going to keep playing around. I am going to put a temp gauge on it so I can play around with the carbs and oil pump and be able to keep an eye on it.