• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a little help with some new plastic products (Pics)

maros91

I like crappie fishing alot but I am pretty one dimensional. Everytime I go I use the same thing everytime. Fat Boy or Genz Bug with Euro Larvae. This way has worked well in the past so I didn't really need to change. After all the reading on plastics baits I seen on here I decided to try a few.

Here are the jigs I mostly use, Fat Boy and Genz Bugs. I have them in a variety of colors.

fish005.jpg

Here are some plastics I picked up the other day. The one on the left is a 1.5" Lit'l Hustler Crappie Tube. The one in the middle is a Berkley Power Bait Power Honey Worm, and the one on the right is a Berkley Power Bait Micros 1" Power Nymph.fish006.jpg

My question is this the way you put them on the hook and just start jigging.

fish004.jpg

Anyone have any luck with these kind of plastics? With the honey worms, how many do you put on? With larvae I usually load up with about 4 or 5 larvae.

Thanks for any helpful info.

Thats pretty much how I'd fish them and your presentation would work.

What I like to do is fish my larger plastics like that on a simple round head jig w/ no collar. The no collar part is important as it lets you slide the plastic further up onto the hook shank. This obviously places the hook further back into your plastic which works well for fish that don't ingest the entire bait. I've recently found a very nice supply of collarless jigheads from Cabelas, they are available in their new catalogs as well.

I would also pretty much describe the plastics you have shown as larger, and more aggressive. You have more success moving from hole to hole to hole to hole fishing each for 2-3 minutes tops and moving on with a bait that large, especially for panfish. What you'll find is you will catch larger fish with those baits but you really have to work for them, numbers will be down as well.

If you downsize your plastic to a Little Atom Wedgee or Nuggie, or a Custom Jigs & Spins Ratso body, you'll find you'll be able to target a wider range of panfish size. The littler guys will take these as well.

The lake I fished today had a pretty decent plastic bite going but it was only a certain percentage of the fish that would take the plastic. Alot would just look at it but the really aggressive fish would fly up and nail it.

You know when I picked them up the other day I thought they were kind of big. All of the other sizes were sold out already. I'll try to pick up some of the jigheads Hanson is talking about. How small do they make the plastics I bought? I noticed there were a couple of empty slots above them but I didn't read the sizes on the tag. Well, I have to work on Monday and my Dad and I are crappie fishing on Tuesday so I guess I will have to try the ones I bought.

Originally Posted By: hanson
Little Atom Wedgee or Nuggie, or a Custom Jigs & Spins Ratso body

I tried to find these at Cabela's but couldn't find them. Any suggestions? The old man and I don't mind drilling countless holes to find active schools of fish so maybe I will find some takers for these largers baits, if not, I will just have to re-vert back to the Eurolarvae.

Originally Posted By: Biff Tannen
 Originally Posted By: hanson
Little Atom Wedgee or Nuggie, or a Custom Jigs & Spins Ratso body

I tried to find these at Cabela's but couldn't find them. Any suggestions? The old man and I don't mind drilling countless holes to find active schools of fish so maybe I will find some takers for these largers baits, if not, I will just have to re-vert back to the Eurolarvae.

Thorne Brothers should have them. Here's a link to what you're looking for. Finesse Plastics at Thorne Bros.

If I were you I'd check out Thorne Bros. They have a great supply of baits and jigs. Along with the product they also have some of the most informative personnel working at their store. Just give Matt a call and tell him Corey said hi. (763)572-3782

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold