• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warn XT issue

Carpenter

Anyone been having issues with their Warn XT 2.5 winch? I purchased it in December with 50' of synthetic rope. I think/know there's too much rope on it because I have issues when trying to let out line as it wraps around and spools back in. I haven't dug into it much, but is there an easy way to reduce the amount of line on the winch and keep the integrity of the rope? I like the thought of the synthetic since it doesn't hold energy, but if it's going to be a pain I'll be back to the cable shortly.

Note: it was factory installed rope, not after market.

Unspool all the way and cut off the end thats fastened to the winch, don't cut off the hook end and re-tie. Fasten it back on the spool and respool. Not sure how the new ones are fastened, they used to have a hole through the center, you'll see after you get it unspooled. They really should only put 45 feet on when they switched to the rope, especially with the chafing sleeve its way to tight with 50 feet.

Thanks. Once it's not -10 I'll try that out. I think I'm already getting some wearing on the rope too from loading it on the trailer. It tends to rub a little on the front of the wheeler when hooked to the trailer. The safety characteristics is a good idea (the rope) but just doesn't seem as durable.

Thanks again

I wouldn't recommend using a winch as a tie down.

I have a Warn 3.0 synthetic on my machine. It fits on the spool just fine. I normally leave the end couple feet out and attach it to my front rack so I can reach it easier while sitting on the seat.

I typically use it to compress the shocks a little then i have a chain that i hook to the front eyelit then i slacken the winch line so there's not tension on it. but the winch sits more into the front of the 05 sportsman and the line can rub slightly on the front bumper. i haven't had a chance to shorten the line yet, maybe this weekend, but fishing looks more attractive then futsing with my wheeler.

I constantly break my cable on my winch when plowing, well maybe only two or three times a year, would the synthetic rope cure that? i was thinking about putting a rubber stopper from the hose reel on there? anybody got good ideas to fix this?

You would like the rope alot more than the pain in the %^ steel cable. I've broke my synthetic rope 3 times in 3 years of plowing, but when you break it you just tie your hook back on and your back in business.

I just got done clamping my cable back together and while pulling the cable in i can see a little bit of smoke on the bottom side of the winch, wonder what that is all about? wonder if warn would take care of it?