• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More Birds in Flight (5 images)

Great shots Cheryl. I especially like the first drake mallard and the geese on the water. I typically do what you do. Take a couple test shots of the background and when the birds come I just keep gunning until they're gone.

Thanks for sharing

You guys sound like sports shooters to me, anyone looking for extra work! Cheryl I'm with Mike the first drake and the reflected geese are just top-notch!

AI Servo, single point focus and occasionally a burst, but I usually make my own burst, rather quick shots fired off every second or so. At times I turn the big gun loose and let 8.5fps fill the buffer. I do have a burst shot from recently if you don't mind me posting it showing a mallard landing.

Please do post, Dan ... would love to see the shots.

What camera do you have with 8.5 fps? As it happens, I got into photography in 2004 so I could take nice pics of flowers and my kids. I found out I loved trying to shoot anything that moved.

I do wonder to myself, however, how photographers got those kinds of shots before servo mode and auto focus.

I have BIF shots in slide film from over 25 years ago. I didn't use auto focus until about 5 years ago! Practice, practice, practice. No cameras that could shoot high fps either. That may explain why I just shoot my own burst, once learned.... I have a 20D, 30D and Mark IIN to answer your fps question.

Originally Posted By: Dbl
I have BIF shots in slide film from over 25 years ago. I didn't use auto focus until about 5 years ago! Practice, practice, practice. No cameras that could shoot high fps either. That may explain why I just shoot my own burst, once learned....

WOW, I don't think I'd have coped well without the "modern conveniences". I remember when I bought my refurbished Digital Rebel from National Camera, which I got because I heard people say it was a 'good camera'. I got home after driving to Golden Valley and was saying to Rick, "Why does the lens come off?" and "OMG, I've spent all this money on a camera that can't take movies."

Then I was silly enough to go asking questions on dpreview. LOL

Here is a fast burst that I shot a month or so back, not good shots because I was on the wrong side of the lighting and the backgrounds but the Mark IIN can fire a quick burst if needed. If I would have been to the left of the bird the lighting and background clutter would have given me decent results.

232669436-L.jpg

232669481-L.jpg

232669529-L.jpg

232669683-L.jpg

232669904-L.jpg

232670168-L.jpg

Quote:
I got home after driving to Golden Valley and was saying to Rick, "Why does the lens come off?" and "OMG, I've spent all this money on a camera that can't take movies."

What.....they have cameras that take movies! grin.gif That is funny.