• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice and opinions welcome!

I will be taking the plunge into a digital slr, I have shot a Nikon film slr for years and am ready for the switch to digital. I will be using the camera to take pictures of my kids sporting events, (mostly indoors), along with outside wildlife pictures etc. I am a little partail to Nikon, but the shop I went to did not really like the D40X. I liked the price better! smile.gif He then showed me the Cannon 40D, Pentax K10D, and the Nikon D80. I know this is like asking Chevy or Ford, but this is alot of money to invest and I will have the camera for a long time. Thanks for any opinions and advice, I have admired alot of the members pictures for years.

Wirenut,

This is a subjective question and I'll give my subjective opinion. First off, I shoot a Nikon D50. I would like to upgrade to the D80. It is a very nice camera. The D40x is a decent camera but if you get into photography much it seems like a person would outgrow it's limitations rather quickly. One thing I don't like about the D40x is that you have to use lenses with the auto-focus motor built in (AF-S). Tha's not a problem if you only want to buy new Nikon lenses but if you want to get a used lens you may have a harder time finding one. Also some of the 3rd party makers offer good lenses new but without the focus motor. Although they do offer lenses with the motor also.

All brands are going to have good cameras. I would personally stick with Canon, Nikon or Pentax since they are the big guns. There is a lot more equipment available for those brands. I chose Nikon primarily because my friends shoot Nikon and I liked the idea that I would have some close support if I had questions and we do swap lenses occasionally to try different things out.

Find a store with different brands and go and touch them, play with them, whatever. They all have a different feel and fit your hands differently.

Good Luck with your shopping.

Wirenut, I'm a Canon shooter.

That being said, it simply doesn't matter which mainstream DSLR system you choose. Each has advantages and disadvantages, but believe me when I tell you that after four hard years of looking them all over and shooting next to people with a variety of systems, the "big two" are close enough together so it really doesn't matter which you choose.

I say the "big two" meaning Canon and Nikon. While Canon has a huge advantage in digital camera sales worldwide and is better in a couple areas than Nikon, Nikon also is better in a couple ares than Canon. The differences are small. It's marketers and those obsessed with brand who try to convince people to go one way or another.

I say to you what I say to all my clients. Nikon and Canon are the best choices because they have the best variety of bodies and lenses and longstanding top quality. Which to choose between them? Don't listen to a salesman in the store. Pick them up and feel them. Use them. See which fits your hand better and go from there.

Don't forget that if you choose the Nikon D80 or higher you can possibly use your older Nikon slr lenses with it. I chose the Nikon D50 because it fit my hand better. If I had to choose between the D40x and the XTI I don't know what I would pick, I don't like how either of them fit my hand.

Wirenut,

I was a Pentax shooter for 25 years before I switched to Canon. I would agree that you will not go wrong by staying with Nikon, Canon, Pentax. Everyone has given great advice, pick up the camera, see how it feels. The layout of the buttons, switches, how intuitive does it seem?

Why did I switch, you mentioned shooting your kids sports. I can't tell you how many folks get into to digital photography for that reason. Digital technology has revolutionized sports photography. Auto focus, ability to take hundreds of shots without worrying about developing film are just a few reasons why. One thing you will find and most people just don't understand as they start out is that the equipment in sports work will have a huge impact on how successful you are at capturing your kids at play. So why did I switch brands, Pentax does not have the fast glass options that Nikon, Canon have in their line ups. That was the bottom line.

If I might offer some thoughts on what you might need to help you take quality photos of your kids involved in sports. A camera that has a focus system that is up to the demanding task of keeping up with fast moving subjects, to me that would mean avoiding the entry level camera bodies. The 40D, D80, K10 are good bodies that will improve your keeper rate. Lenses that are capable of shooting in low light. You mentioned indoor sports, you will need a 2.8 or faster lens along with a body that has the capability of going to 3200 ISO at a minimum, unless you are willing to flash. That in itself can add cost and some sports do not allow flash to be used at all.

A pro-sumer body and a 70-200/2.8 will give you a great combination that should work for the vast majority of your sports shooting. As you spend more time shooting sports you will quickly find what type of equipment will give you the results you are looking for. You have a good start with your experience in the film world, you already have a good understanding of how all the elements work together, aperture, ISO, shutter speed. Good luck with your decision, is one that is not easily made but one you will have great fun with once you have the equipment to capture your kids best days!