• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about New Plas HDTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bassNspear

I just got a brand new 42 inch Samsung HDTV. The problem is i have Direct TV, and i have the TV hooked up to the coex cable, and the picture is not right. I looked at the back of my Direct TV box, and it only have the red, white and yellow, nothing else.

SO, how do i hook it up so the picture comes in clear. The TV at the store was amazing, but with the hook up that i have here, is not even close to what was in the store.

Thanks for you help.

Couple of things:

1. DirecTV standard definition channels have horrible picture quality, no matter what connection you are using. This is pretty well known and accepted in the satellite industry.

2. Standard definition from any source looks horrible on the new HDTV's because of the resolution and the error is magnified so much more than on the old analog TV's.

3. Don't get hung up on the HDMI connection. It's easy and convenient, but not necessarily "the best". Coax and component (red/green/blue) will work just as good, and a lot cheaper. Some say it's better than HDMI and I've seen tests comparing the two saying so.

4. As said above, step into a HDTV package from DirecTV, Dish, Cable, etc and see what that new TV can REALLY do. Then start monkeying with the cables, etc.

"red white and yellow cord" the red and white are your audio cable. The Yellow is your video. Moving up to a hi-def feed using the component (red/green/blue) cables will at the very least improve your quality 5 times over and let your new TV show it's self off. You will still need the red and white for your audio hopefully hooked up to a surround sound system.

The red/white + yellow cable is probably the worst way you can pass video, but it'll work in a pinch.

Another thing I thought of was that in the store they typically crank the contrast and brightness up on the floor models to make them appear to have a lot of "pop". You get your TV home and pull it out of the box with all the picture settings set at 50% most likely. Your viewing area is obviously much different then a big store with fluorescent lighting, so you don't want to try to match what they are doing in the store. Play around with the picture settings for a while until you get a picture you like. It took me quite a while before I felt like I had the right settings.