• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grand Rapids to Fortune Bay

Diago

I am thinking about going lake Vermillion to stay overnight at fortune bay. Has anyone made the trip? How long does it take? How about bringing an inexperienced sledder?

Thanks for your info!

Jim

Fun Ride!!!!

I have done it many times...most of the time solo! You can do that ride in less than 4 hours-EASY. Make a loop out of it. Best loop would be to start out in Rapids heading south toward Goodland-Warba. Then get on the Greenway trail up to Keewatin. Head across the Range through Hibbing, then Chisholm, then Buhl, then over to Mountain Iron and take the Laurentian Trail over towards Babbitt and finally taking the Iron Ore Trail North to Fortune Bay. That is my favorite route. Lots of scenery and you get to ride some old mine pits and dumps where you can have some nice scenic overlooks. Nicest trails around. That route may take a little longer, but is well worth it.

Next, heading back, you also have options. You can take the Arrowhead trail from Lake Vermilion right into Cook. Then take the Bearskin Trail to the Tim Corey trail and end up on the Taconite Trail near Side Lake. Make sure you gas up in Side Lake, because this will be your last chance for awhile. You then take the Taconite Trail back to Grand Rapids. That would be my next favorite choice, but you can also stay right on the Taconite Trail from Tower straight to Grand Rapids. Taconite Trail is a little busier, rougher, and not as scenic.

As far as the inexperienced rider goes, it may be a long ride, but there are alot of places to stop and rest and eat along the way. If you stretch the ride out over the course of an entire day, it won't be hard on anyone. They will have a good time-guaranteed!

Let me know how you liked it!

Justin

Hey Diago

We are taking the Taconite from GR to Fortune Bay on the 9th of Febuary. So far we have 9 people on the ride. I have never made this trip and am going to stick to the Taconite and Arrowhead trails for the first run. If you would like to join our group shoot me a e-mail.

You may know me already since I grew up in the GR area.

We are relaxed riders so if you want to hit the trail at 100 you won't want to ride with us.