• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don't want to get into a rut...what to do?

Well...the boss and I got our new XTi last Friday and have been having a blast taking pics with it. I have been staying away from the auto shooting modes and been trying to figure out how the different setting affect each other. I have taken a photography class 6 years ago when I was in college so I remember some of it....but not enough. Just been experimenting all weekend and have been learning.

My question is: Do you guys shoot strait manual mode, or do you use the AV and TV setting more? Obviously the AV/TV modes adjust setting for you...so am I slowing my learning process down using AV mode?

We did purchase a few books to read to help out. Just want to make sure I go about things the right way.

Congratulations on your Canon. It sounds like you're having fun with it already. I know others will have different techniques, but so far I've always used Av or Tv and then adjust with the EC dial. But then, I haven't had my Canon that long. Back in the 35mm days, I generally shot everything in manual. However, I didn't do too much winter shooting then. I suppose you're wondering why that should make a difference. I would usually meter off medium density green grass, and set my camera accordingly. In the event there wasn't any grass in the same light as the subject, I would sometimes use the blue sky. I also used to carry a gray card with me. I rarely used it, but at least it reminded my what 18% gray looked like. When spring arrives, I may go back to manual again, at least occasionally. One difference between shooting digital and shooting film, is now you can afford to do much more experimenting and bracketing. In the film days, I tried to make every shot count, due to the cost of film and processing. Now, if I get a good one out of every dozen, I'm happy. The drawback to this is, I think it's made me lazy. I'm going to have to cure that on my own. frown.gif

After many many hours reading and practicing, I evolved quickly from shooting in the program modes to shooting Manual mode. I shot everything manual for about 2 years until I felt completely comfortable in being able to get a good exposure no matter what the light situation was. Now I do most of my shooting in AV, but when a tough situation presents itself, I know I can go back to manual and nail the shot the way I want it to look. I don't know what others will say, but that was the way I went about it and can manage to get pretty good results.

When shooting with a flash, like in a wedding reception during the dance sessions, I will always go back to manual mode, knowing what settings I need to get a properly exposed shot. That is one situation in which you need to know how to work the camera. Also knowing how to set up your flash is a must.

I would keep reading your books, and spend some time seriously practicing in tricky lighting situations shooting manual mode to get the results you want. That is exactly how I learned, and continue to learn.

Tom

I shoot most landscapes in manual, most closeups in aperature priority so I can adjust for depth of field and I shoot moving animals or birds usually in Shutter priority. I'm not sure what the Tv is since I shoot Nikon but that's my take. I'm pretty new to it so I'm sure that'll change once I get more experience.

Mike

Quote:

I shoot most landscapes in manual, most closeups in aperature priority so I can adjust for depth of field and I shoot moving animals or birds usually in Shutter priority. I'm not sure what the Tv is since I shoot Nikon but that's my take. I'm pretty new to it so I'm sure that'll change once I get more experience.

Mike

Yep, sounds about the way I would typically do it. Although, I don't shoot landscapes. It mostly depends on what you are shooting. I'm pretty sure most sports photographers would choose Tv, but portrait photographers would probably be more inlcined to use Av.

Tv refers to shutter priority and Av, aperture. I have no idea how they came up with Tv for shutter priority though.

I agree. Each situation calls for a different approach depending on what you're trying to get. Is the shutter speed the most important? Depth of field? I've actually been shooting more manual lately than I have for a long time. As long as light conditions stay fairly constant, seems I get more consistant results.

Hey XT most sports guys shoot either manual or Av, not Tv. You want shallow DOF for out of focus backgrounds and you want the fastest shutter speed you can to stop action. Always exceptions to this of course, panning shots for one. Use Tv to set a slow shutter speed and let the aperture do its thing.

311 what are you going to shoot? Each mode has its strong points depending on the subject matter. Outside under constant light conditions you will find manual will give you the best results. Changing light conditions generally Av gives you better exposures. Indoors under constant light, manual will be best. Av or Tv depending on what you are trying to accomplish indoors will also give you great results.

One reason that Av or Tv is easy to learn on is that you are eliminating one variable of the exposure. In Av you are setting the aperture and you now don't really have to worry about it again until you want the camera to give you a different result. Same thing with Tv you now set the shutter speed and let the camera do the rest.

An example; let say we are taking an outdoor picture of an old barn. The day is partly cloudy so you decide to shoot in Av, setting an aperture of f8.0, this gives you a nice depth of field. The camera will now decide on the shutter speed it will need from the metering mode you are in and what ever ISO you have set in the camera. If you were at ISO 100 you would see 1/60s or close to it when the sun is out (sunny 16 rule).

The one really important variable in this is that you have one more parameter to set that still affects the others, ISO. Most people with film experience don't remember that you can change your ISO at will. Need more shutter speed in Av...up your ISO. Need a wider aperture in Tv... change your ISO. So don't forget which ever mode you are in that you can still get numbers you want by changing ISO. Let the conditions dictate what mode you want to shoot in, here are a few I can think of and what mode works well for me .

1. Night- manual mode

2. Sports - manual or Av

3. Landscape - manual or Av

4. Wildlife - manual or Av

5. Portrait - manual, Av, or Tv

6. Indoors no flash - manual or Tv

7. Indoors flash - manual, Av or Tv

Its good that you are taking the camera off of "P" mode and "green" mode. You will learn much faster why the shot turned out the way it did when you control some or all of the variables from the camera. Good luck with the camera and please share some of your work here.

Quote:

Hey XT most sports guys shoot either manual or Av, not Tv. You want shallow DOF for out of focus backgrounds and you want the fastest shutter speed you can to stop action.

Thanks for the correction. Actually, I instucted my brother in law to shoot in Av, for his kid's hockey games. However, I was just thinking that, if you know what speed is necessary to stop action, you could set the shutter speed for the known factor and let the aperture take care of itself. It's been several years since I've done any sports shooting and don't remember too much about it. Although, I'm thinking I was more intent on stopping the action than I was at obtaining the shallowest DOP. Then again, choosing the largest aperture will also give you the fastest shutter speed.