• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breaking down an unknown lake

DTro

I know, harder than it sounds.

Let's say that a few pothole lakes that I've caught some major league gills in the summer will be close by this weekend wink.gif

Looking at this one particular lake, it is approx 230 acres with a maximum depth of 31ft, with good weed growth around the shoreline.

It's basically a basin shaped lake with a few sharp breaks to the 30 ft hole.

How would you attack this?

Hit the weedline, the deep hole, or somewhere in between?

Clarity is another big factor in how I would look at the lake, first and foremost DTRO...

If clear, the weeds should still be lively this early into the ball game.. And this is where I would start my hunt... On the weededge first, looking for points or turns in the edge... If nothing, I would find a weed flat, that has deep water access near by... Being a bowl, basin type lake, there should be one or two of these around the lake. If near the north end of the lake, even better if you ask me. From there, I would drill and drill and drill some more.. Searching for pockets of fish, that could be using the weeds as both cover and for ambusing prey (this will hold even more true if big predators, pike, are roaming this lake too). But have the comfort of sliding out to deep cover if need be, especially after the weeds die off. Oh, and if there are any inlets near these weedflats... Would be a place I would check too...

If stained, I would say, the weedline would be relatively shallow, and probably not in existance anymore.. Here I would look to deep water, suspended 'gills holding on hard to soft bottom areas. Not, yet in the actual basin, but on the cusp. This is just a matter of drilling to find em.. Once located, pretty easy to pick em off...

Always good to have two people on these searches.. One with the auger, another behind with the locator and preferably a camera as well on those clear water lakes...

Great info!

I thought I remember the lake being stained, but looking at lake info it shows clarity at 11.5ft.

Looks like I will be focusing on the weeds.

As a bonus, I also noticed they've been dumping a bunch of eyes in there for some years.

I'll put your suggestions to good use....thanks!

I would head toward the deeper basin area,and fish for the suspending basin cruisers.I am not talking about right over the deepest part of the hole necessarily.I would look at the 'rim' of the deep hole. A 230 acre lake would seem to be fairly manageable to search a basin area. With such clear water/ clarity,once you find the schools of bigger 'gills that are suspending,like JKH stated,getting them to bite can be easy and fun.These fish will come from a distance away to hit your lure/bait, once they see what your offering.The competition factor will get the fish a bit more aggressive once their one of their pals gets to the bait first.With walleyes as a bonus,you got a nice scenario there.

Get out the "aerator" and go to town! I start by punching a lot of holes starting shallow and heading out to the deeper basin. Don't even fish until you see some fish on your locator as a general rule. You are going to need to find the fish first. The only reason I would drop into a hole with no fish is if there was something interesting like a bottom transition or sudden drop or rise in depth from hole to hole.

If you have someone else with you it will help greatly. You drill holes and have a buddy follow with the flasher checking for fish.

It's alway's exciting learning a new lake and putting together a pattern for the fish.

Have fun and let us know how you do. laugh.gif

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

I suppose I could add that I would probably punch a couple holes in the shallows, and the mid depths, to check for green weeds.If the weeds are brown(dead), I am continuing the trek towards the basin area.Green weeds=more oxygen=possible fish.Brown weeds=less,or no oxygen=fish are probably gone,or elsewhere.Water clarity, and snow depth on the ice will dictate how much sunlight gets through, allowing weeds to stay green longer into the ice season.I still prefer chasing the suspending bulls that are chewing on plankton, and other food, over the deeper water.

Quote:

Get out the "aerator" and go to town! I start by punching a lot of holes starting shallow and heading out to the deeper basin. Don't even fish until you see some fish on your locator as a general rule. You are going to need to find the fish first. The only reason I would drop into a hole with no fish is if there was something interesting like a bottom transition or sudden drop or rise in depth from hole to hole.

If you have someone else with you it will help greatly. You drill holes and have a buddy follow with the flasher checking for fish.

When you check for fish with your flasher in each hole do you drop down a small bait to see if anything comes up from the bottom or do you just drop the transducer in the hole and look for suspended fish?

When I'm in aggressive search mode I typically only fish holes that have fish in them. If I know that there are fish in the area but not necessarily straight below me then I'll drop a bait down.

If I drop a bait down I start with something bigger like a Power Tube or Minnow. This way I can target the bigger, more aggressive fish first. If I see fish and don't get bit then I'll downsize.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold