• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon BDC reticle

lawdog

I am really thinking about buying one of those Nikon Omega muzzleloader scopes to put on the Omega for the rifle season. Think they are cool. I already got some quick detach rings/bases for the gun so I can take it off for the muzzleloader season too.

I am wondering though if that BDC reticle would make mounting the scope exactly straight up and down all the more important and if so, how do I do that? I almost always mount my own scopes on guns, but I'm thinking with this reticle maybe being even a touch off and getting the cross hairs at even a slight angle would make those aiming points way off side to side too?

Any one have any experience with this issue? How do I get it straight if I do it myself???

I got that scope on my Pro Hunter. I was very amazied with the accuracy I was able to get with it. I have the base plate then the quick detach mounts. Be aware you need to get the rings up a hair because of the rear sight of the iron's. Your not playing with much room at all so be careful which rings you pick. I have the leopold rings and it's very close. I love it but haven't shot past 100 yds yet with it.

mounting the scope with the crosshairs vertical is important all of the time. the adjustments on a scope are left/right, windage, up/down elevation. if the scope isn't set ever so perfectly, you'll notice it when sighting in. for instance. if your gun is two inches high at 100 yards, you would move it down 8 clicks, two inches(on most scopes anyways) if you move it down the correct amount, and now the bullet is shooting down and a bit left or right, it probably means the scope isn't level. you'll notice it more on left and right adjustments, if it seems to be shooting higher or lower after adjusting.