• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this what I think it is?

I was down at the river shooting ducks today and this guy kept passing by. I think it's an immature Baldie but not 100% sure. I know these pics aren't the best but he didn't get real close.

121707_1017copy.jpg

121707_1012copy.jpg

Yes, it's a young bald eagle, most likely a 2nd-year bird. No golden eagle of any year has white/very pale sections on the breast or sides. In different light, the yellowish feather sections in mmeyer's images would look more like true whites, but the light here is warm.

The best field guide, bar none, for North American birds is The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley. A GREAT Christmas present, by the way, for any birder who doesn't have one.

Thanks Guys,

I did think it might be a Golden but the only place I've seen them in MN is in the far SE. I have seen mature Bald Eagles in the area. This guy was right in town. I was hoping I could see him get a meal but no luck there. I think he made a goose real nervoud though. laugh.gif

Thanks again

Thanks Guys,

I did think it might be a Golden but the only place I've seen them in MN is in the far SE. I have seen mature Bald Eagles in the area. This guy was right in town. I was hoping I could see him get a meal but no luck there. I think he made a goose real nervous though. laugh.gif

Thanks again

Catfish

Eagles and Golden eagles are not always marked the same as you think, there are Baldies in northern wis that are half white, 23 saids the DNR

And many goldens are tan to a white on wings and chest.. it just depends. There are alot of goldens up this way saids the tower DNR.. They just has a show on them and the one they used for training has a white chest and under wings

like this pic here.. could be one, or it looks like one to me... guess you really don't know unless you knew eagles as a expert... so i still say i might be a golden......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://lh3.google.com/_Wey1lTO8yGI/RzmmAC0xPBI/AAAAAAAABDE/GoW1joPTTZM/s800/DSCN1228.JPG&imgrefurl=http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/q1m47cKy_hm99tih_uksqw&h=768&w=800&sz=147&hl=en&start=62&sig2=AIbDitZuZPwOk-SemKnE2w&um=1&tbnid=LwLR1qyyLzt8TM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=143&ei=9XBoR7vOA5q6gwLSq_j9DQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgolden%2Beagles%26start%3D60%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Sorry Kalli. Didn't mean to offend. My Sibley guide, as well as my other two raptor guides,

show no age-class of golden eagle with white on the breast (though some show lighter shades

of gold/tan), while 2nd-year bald eagles show quite a bit of white there.

I think the gold look to the pale portions of the bird's breast

are because the light striking the bird is a warm amber color.

I'm not an eagle expert, though I have been a birder for 30 years and have seen many bald

and golden eagles in their varieties of plumages as they mature. But God knows I've made

mistakes before, so I shared the image with the staff at a birding magazine and they

agree it's an immature baldy. Again, sorry if I offended. I sure didn't mean to.

You didnt offend me at all..

I just know some do carry other colors too.. LOL i had to put in my 2 cents worth cause at times one never knows.. But i am sure you are right, but i still say some goldens do have white on breast and under wings, thats why i pointed that out..

Now getting back to another post i did a month ago while in the woods, and now again today i saw a wild turkey.. Living in wis were we used to hunt them i sure know what they look like.. and i swear its a wild turkey Tom..Off Fernburg rd.. I know there isn't any up this far, but again one never knows.. Whats your input on this wild turkey?

Immature Bald Eagle 100% smirk.gif

If anybody has interest in seeing a Golden eagle over carcasses on occasion, I know where this can be seen... Necedah NWR in Wisconsin. they have blinds set up and will occasionally toss a road killed deer near by for birders or photogs... kinda like Carlton Peak and some gravel pits in northern MN for Wolves/Eagles etc over road killed deer. Okay, enough of my secrets for one night. shocked.gif

Yes i bet it was... Someone said there was a wild turkey farm about 50 miles from here. Not sure if thats true but i read this...

Domesticated turkeys cannot fly. Wild turkeys, however, can fly for short distances at speeds up to 55 miles per hour. They can also reach speeds of 25 miles per hour on the ground.

And he flew really well..so over time i bet he got there, and he was by a huge clover patch too but the snow has it covered now tho..Great grouse place there too.. Been watching it to see if its dug up, so far no

ok thanks Catfish for the info

Most breeds of domestic turkeys can fly quite well so that statement is not really true. The only two that I can think of that would not be able to fly well are broad-breasted bronze and broad-breasted whites. They are the breeds of turkey used commercially for meat production and eventually grow so large they can hardly move.

Oh ok Steve..Got ya

Things are diff here in MN, in Wis where my family had the game farm, we had to have a game farm lic and the right pen with fly nets on top and be visited by the head of fish and game,when we raised wild turkeys.. so i didn't think you can could raise and buy a wild turkey and or chicks. I am learning.. Steve i have a few things i need to drop off by you for some people who will be at the Bash. I will call first and find out when your around..

thanks Steve

Speaking of Flying turkeys; My neigbhor was heading home one night last week and a turkey flew across the road and hit his windsheild at 60mph. Lost controll of car hit the ditch and caused extensive damage to his vehicle. He was ok though, wore his seatbelt and probably saved his from serious injury. Turkey is in freezer with permision of Sherriffs office and car is sitting with about $4,500 worth of front end damage, all from a dumb turkey. He said is insurance adjuster almost split a gut laughing at his perdicament.