• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Women and "Deadstick Technique"

Nothing off colored with the subject line-but it captures attention huh? Anyway, I just got this Scotty's Custom Ultra Light ice rod and I've been taking notes from the ice forum about how to fish with a rod like this and am going to try it! No bobbers to fiddle with! You watch the tip for movement since it's really sensitve. I can't icefish this weekend (kid activities) but I BETTER BE THE NEXT WEEKEND OR SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET REALLY CRANKY! blush.gifsmile.gif Okay sorry for that...I'll let you gals know next Sunday how this works out for me. I really wanted to see if anyone else has tried fishing like this and to share my enthusiasm-like always! blush.gifgrin.gif

But you guys still like me even if I'm kinda freaky???? laugh.gifsmirk.gif

lisa, we have to like you. your of the female gender that likes to fish and lets mr. lisa tealz hunt. my better half is the same way, likes to fish both seasons and lets me hunt whatever whenever. how can a man go wrong with a wife like that. besides that your the moderator of this forum, boss! hope your new rod works for you. i had couple rods custom made at thorne brothers a few years back its all my wife wants to use now. if you fish next weekend, post ice conditions please. good luck fishing.

There's no need to reset the bobber stop/knot to change depths especially helpful when you move around a lake alot like me. Just throw your transducer down, put your line down near the bottom or higher up for suspended fish-wherever you mark them. It's also less resistance with no bobber. I have ordered a tip down rod holder also. This holds the rod in position until you get a bite then it drops the rod tip down. I hope that comes soon. The cool part about my rod is that it's got a really sensitive tip. You watch the tip instead of the bobber. I have a Scotty's custom rod and it is sweet! Hope this helps but remember I'm new to it too so it's going to be a learning curve and this info is all I got for right now but I'm not done researching either.

glenn,

I tried being the Master of the Free Time once before and it didn't go well!! So this time around, I let my man do what he wants for the most part. We have separate money too so that is not an issue then either. Anyway, then I get venison backstraps, jerky and sausage! And 2 weekends to do anything I want to! I'm sure Mrs. glenn57 thinks the same way I do right?

yes she does. i dont care if she goes to vegas with her friends and she doesnt care if me and my friends (my labs) head up north hunting&fishing.works well. then she gets fish, venny, duck, grouse etc.i guess i dont consider that free time, rather neccessity to remain sain. have a good holiday season you and mr. lisatealz.

""i guess i dont consider that free time, rather neccessity to remain sain.""

Your absolutely right Glenn. If only more could understand this part of relationships we would have a lot less divorces out there.

It is necessary to be apart once and a while to make when you are together that much better and exciting. smile.gif

Quote:

There's no need to reset the bobber stop/knot to change depths especially helpful when you move around a lake alot like me. Just throw your transducer down, put your line down near the bottom or higher up for suspended fish-wherever you mark them. It's also less resistance with no bobber. I have ordered a tip down rod holder also. This holds the rod in position until you get a bite then it drops the rod tip down. I hope that comes soon. The cool part about my rod is that it's got a really sensitive tip. You watch the tip instead of the bobber. I have a Scotty's custom rod and it is sweet! Hope this helps but remember I'm new to it too so it's going to be a learning curve and this info is all I got for right now but I'm not done researching either.

Lisa

very curious has to how the tip down works for you. Been thinking about getting one of those things.

Keep us posted on the new dead sticking adventure. laugh.gif

OK, I could be wrong. I think I tried this technique last winter, didn't know it had a name. Duh. lol.

I put just a bobber stopper tie on the line where I wanted the line marked, but no bobber, this way I had a depth to go by. I guess I liked the bobber more, gave me more freedom in the house. If I'm not holding the rod I was afraid of it going in the hole, I use an open bale with a bobber, and a sensitive tipped rod. I was trying to remember the name of the lure I used? Not good with people names or lure names I guess confused.giftongue.gif It was red though! lol blush.gifblush.gif

I'll keep you all posted-failure or success! Diana, your bobber stop technique sounds similiar. I just sit in a portable so I don't think I'll miss bites since there's not much to do in "my house". laugh.gif The rod holder prevents your rod from heading down the hole. I think the first time I try this I will use a jig with a minnow. I'm not good with names either!!

Deadsticking can be a deadly technique for panfish that are not striking very hard. Lisa, you can also take it to the next level and put a spring bobber on the end of your rod. That will make things even more uber sensative.

I like to have one deadstick line in (I put the rod in a rod holder) and jig like crazy with another rod. Keep an eye on the flasher cuz when they come in a lot of times they will not hit the line you are jigging, but they will hit the deadstick.

Reelemin, no bobber makes the line even that much more sensative. An awesome technique for fish that arn't really hitting your bait, but just kinda putting their mouth around it.

Good luck.

Obviously I had these techniques backwards. I was jigging with the swedish pimple. I use a minnow, a fathead most times for deadstick fishing, I like to use the foam bobbers most, the really small ones. I guess I didn't realize there was a word for fishing with a bobber!lol Haven't tried the spring bobbers.

Not so much.

Swedish pimple is a GREAT jiggn lure. When I'm deadsticking i use a bare hook with waxies or a minnow, or a glow demon with minnow. Don't let me be the one to sway you from a pimple cuz they are great and definately have their place. Not really teh best for deadsticking, however.

Maybe try jiggin the pimple and deadstick with another line. Could be the ticket!!!!

Lisa,

If you do a search in the icefishing forum for deadsticking you'll find lots of info.

I have two of them in my arsenal. A Jason Mitchell meat stick and a Scotty's dead stick. The Scotty's rod is my wife's favorite and she's used it more than I have.

I like using the deadsticks on a Today's Tackle rod rocker II. Just a note though that this is not only a panfish technique. In fact it excels as a technique for finicky walleyes.

You can also use these rods for jigging light spoons and jigs as the tip is basicly a built in spring bobber.

Enjoy your new rod. Scotty builds some nice rods.

I primarily target walleyes. I get the most kick from hauling them in-doesn't everybody??grin.gif So that new post about walleye deasticking is right up my alley over there in the icefishing forum. Mr. LT got the snowmobile put back together this past weekend and now it's ICE TIME for this poor couple!

I did not get up there but my man was. He did get the snowmobile fixed and took a ride on Moose Lake and asked some other guys fishing-they said it was about 9 inches. He also said that there were slushy patches though. frown.gif We'll be up this coming weekend though and will be fishing so I'll update you on Sunday 12/23.