• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best gloves?

Bigbartguy

This post probably couldve gone on one of several forums, but I'm looking for a really decent pair of snowmobile/ice fishing gloves and wondering if there is a certain brand/name that is the warmest.

I have looked at many gloves, and most seem to have the same descriptions (3m thinsulate, etc etc) and vary in price from $15 to 75. I'm skeptical about paying $75 for gloves when I cant tell if they'll actually be warmer than the $15s!

I just cant tell which would be warmer! any tips?

I can tell you that the WARMEST gloves I have ever seen were a Polaris brand glove that I bought about four years ago. Wow werew they great. They were expensive, but they block the wind so well it is incredible. They also have a liner.

When my yellow lab pup was just 8 months old he got ahold of one of them. He chewed up the index finger a little bit. I duct-taped it and am still using them.

I tried to find another pair of them for the past two season for the wife and have not found them. I checked with Polaris dealers and the company itself. I have also checked online -- no dice. The clostest things I have found are the Skidoo ones. She is getting that for Christmas.

For me -- the $70 was worth it.

well I like the answers that youve both given, as I have a Skidoo sled! I'm going to look hard at Skidoo gloves!

I see 3 different 'higher end' choices on Skidoos HSOforum:

X-Team Leather gloves - suggested $89 (all leather shell)

Thunder gloves - suggested 79 (leather and nylons shell)

Short leather gloves suggested 79 (all leather shell)

The short leather's say lightly insulated. The thunder's arent full leather. Are you guys thinking the X-Team si the best choice or what model have you been looking at?

They have other models as well - $40-60. Which ones have you guys have good experience with? I really appreciate the help!

I look at three things when considering a glove:

construction materials and palm

membrane

insulation

I look for a heavy duty cordura nylon outer shell, something that is snag resistant, but won't absorb water when wet. Any reinforcement in the knuckles or fingers area is a good thing, just make sure it is not too bulky to impede movement. I like a heavy duty palm. Previous gloves I've owned had a heavy duty synthetic rubber type palm. The rubber material stayed pliable in cold weather and took the abuse of handlebar, ski pole grips, shovel handle, etc., extremely well. They did not slip. My current pair has a deer skin palm. They are nice, but they have gotten scuffed already, and they absorb some water. This sucks when you grab something metal and it slightly sticks to it. But overall, it is better than most other leather palms I have seen out there. The other important thing is a gauntlet. Get the gauntlet. I can't tell you how many times I've had snow get up in the glove without a gauntlet. Most have an elastic cinch cord, which will keep snow out.

A Breathable membrane is a must. Gore-Tex or any other proprietary membrane will get the job done. This is important while fishing. When you have wet hands from grabbing a fish out of your hole or from sweat, wet gloves are not good for keeping hands warm. If you have a breathable membrane, then the vapor from your hands when they warm up is allowed to escape and will let you glove eventually dry out.

The final question is insulation. Thinsulate works well but it absorbs odors and moisture. I personally like to use fleece lined gloves, especially ones with a removable liner. It is easier to wash the fleece liner, as well as put on a glove with wet hands.

One of the best style gloves I have worn for snowmobiling, fishing, snowshoeing, etc., was a snowboard style glove made by burton. The manufacturer isn't that important, but the style of glove is. It was a gauntlet style glove with a durable nylon outer shell. It had a breatheable membrane tough and a synthetic rubber palm with a soft area on the thumb for wiping your runny nose without scratching it. It had a removable fleece liner in it.

I hate the fact that you need to pay $50-70+ for a high quality glove, especially since they take so much abuse. But a good glove is invaluable in the field. These higher quality gloves might last you a season or two, maybe more if you take good care of them. A cheap pair of gloves invariably falls out apart on you after the first few outings.

Windshield makes a big difference. The less 60mph wind you can keep off of your hands, the warmer they will be.

I've got motocross hand guards on my sled which have become a pretty popular accessory now. They make a real big difference IMO.

A few years ago, I had some "mechanic's" gloves made by Ringers Gloves. Just checking out the HSOforum, I believe they were/are the "Insulated" Motorsports/Automotive gloves.

I wore these gloves for a couple years trail riding and ditch riding and my hands stayed warm in them. Yes... this involved plenty of riding at 0 degrees. I obviously had my hand warmers on all the time but I was still quite shocked that they kept me warm.

My experience with those gloves was a year of good use and they started to lose their insulative qualities. Time to buy new ones. They only cost $30 so not too big a deal to be buying new ones every year.

People think I'm nuts, but all I ever wear no matter what the conditions, is good old Kaplans cotton cloth gloves. They only cost a buck a pair so I keep a couple extra pairs with all the time. Heavy gloves make my hands sweat too much and then they get colder. The cotton (as long as they are dry) keep my hands plenty warm, and what I like best is the flexibility they allow. If they get wet I either change them out, or a little heat from the muffler dries them out real quick.

Most of the guys I ride with have converted to these after giving it a try. Like Hanson, I do use the warmers but the heat is transferred easier and quicker than through the heavy ones.

By far what I have found for 5 above to -30 are a "pair of choppers". The long shank, leather, wool inside, open ended one thumb mitten choppers. Wind shield makes a huge difference (as far as wind hitting your hands). But sub zero temp riding, I will never use anything but a "pair of choppers".

For warmer weather riding, the leather finger gloves work great.

I had gotten a Water proof thinsalite finger pair last year, that had a squeegee on the thumb finger of the right hand glove. This is for wiping off snow and what ever from your helmet shield or goggles.

I feel the mitten part helps keep heat from all fingers together.

Pair of choppers!

nmAsT4A4rPhrByGgruMPbSxNuvUpqRd-0300.jpg

water proof, Thinsulite finger gloves with swipe!

mTZtVyktBZ7oW2Dq6X+YYUc2zwlyfeSv0300.jpg