• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Impressions of frost

I was walking by an east-facing upstairs window just as the sun was rising and it occurred to me how much these new frost patterns just formed overnight appeared to be impressionistic brush strokes.

I would class these as "photo art" because of the level of digital manipulation in pp. After desaturating, I played around with levels and sharpening to heighten the effect of a painter's brush, though I did not use any of the built-in features that would give that look automatically.

Canon 30D, Canon 100 macro, iso100, 1/500 to 1/1600, f3.5 to f5.6, handheld

panorama-1.jpg

top-tight-1.jpg

tightest.jpg

I like the effect. Must say the last one is the one I like the best. Lots of new things to try with the change in weather. Many people think that winter lessens the chances for photography - I think it expands it! smile.gifsmile.gif

Winter rewards the ardent photographer, for sure. Harder to go as far afield as in summer, and the risks are greater, but I love this coming season for a lot of reasons, not the least because being out there in the winter wilderness with nothing but a camera bag lets you know you're alive! grin.gifgrin.gif

I like the last one best, too, but not by much. I was struck by how closely the upper half of the second image resembles the textures and patterns of lichen on rock, as well as how the grace of the frost in the lower portion looks like fern fronds. Lots of those kinds of echoes in nature.