• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I missed him

I want a picture too! So here's tonight's update...we canceled our trip to SoDak due to the weather, but it meant I could get out and hunt. And yes, I saw him again. I am almost in disbelief at this point, I have this deer patterned down to a 80 yard area of woods as a transition area between his bedding spot and his evening stroll...he came out on a field edge behind me still following that doe, and they came through the woods I was in, but stayed 40 yards out in the thick brush. I tried grunting at him, and while he looked up, he choose the hot doe over a fight. I also saw another doe and a spike, he chased the spike my way after he had moved through, kinda fun to watch. I moved my stand around 2:30 today, and if I had stayed where I sat last night, I would have had a shot at him when he was in the funnel area between the fields. That is assuming he would have entered the small opening in the woods the same way, I realized that stand location was far too visible, and he might have bolted without giving me a shot, who knows. Because our SoDak trip fell through, I have permission from the wife to hunt him hard this weekend, not a bad consolation prize. I will be out there after him tomorrow morning, and will sit until I can't stand it anymore, or the snow is too heavy. I am also planning on hunting Sunday afternoon. This is beginning to be unbelievable, thanks again for all the tips and support, I really hope this story ends with a pic of me and this deer (whom I have nicknamed Judas, don't ask me why, I just thought it sounded cool)

WalleyGator...shoot me an email...I think I can help you out. I have a climber and would be willing to go hunt with you this weekend...thereby increasing your odds of getting a picture with that deer wink.gif.

Seriously good luck...and at the very least I bet you're having a blast trying for him!!! I hope to put the hurt on something tomorrow morning as well. FL Sniper (frosty the bowman)

Good luck Wallygator12000.

I'll be home with a sick kid all day checking posts and email waiting to maybe get to see a glimpse of my bruiser from my house. I sure hope sometime tomorrow we will see a positive success story and maybe a picture from you. If you get him can we all get credit for an "assist" j/k

Good Luck,

Meat-Run grin.gif

Well...the saga continues...no buck...I actually only saw one deer, the half-rack six around 7, besides that no movement at all before the storm, which really surprised me...I'll be out tomorrow afternoon when the storm breaks, they gotta move then...the truth is this has been a blast, seeing him so often and trying to pattern him, and then getting to report back to you guys!

Got out this morning, I won't be able to this afternoon. There is a really nice rub as I drive into the property, and there was a deer right by it, I keep going and didn't stop trying not to spook him much, I assume it was a buck, but I don't know. When I checked the rub on my way out, there were fresh shavings on top of the snow. Saw one deer at about 100 yards going through the brush...kinda disappointing, but neat to see where they are all traveling. I am going to head back out Monday pm for a hunt, hopefully things can settle down by then too.

The Judas saga continues... At least we got a name now - a buck with that amount of sightings deserves one! How about pulling the ol doe decoy back out and entice him with a few can calls? Or go all out with dink buck standing near a bedded doe. Done deal. Make sure the battery in your cam is charged! grin.gif

I wish I had a deke to use, but that's on my Christmas list this year! I'm asking the wife for a Montana Decoy, I'm sold on their portability. Tonight's report: No Judas again, but I did see 7 deer, had two does, one with two fawns under my stand tonight on the field edge, plus I had the half-rack six come out 10 yards behind me on the field at around 5:15, and then I saw two different does on my drive off of the property. I have some of my confidence back in the area, but I am beginning to worry that the bruiser is a lost cause, if I could only get lucky enough to be near him on the night he gets up and moves just a little too early...

So here's my past few trips update...I have seen a few does, and last night saw the half-rack six and the half eight...I have two stands set up on the edge of the doe bedding area, and they frequently travel past me with fawns, moving from the bedding area to go out and browse. Problem is there is no defined food source on the property, and they just kinda wander through the woods. I also haven't seen Judas (the big buck) in over a week now, since before the first snow. Do you guys think I should change something up? I am seeing deer most nights, and have the travel lanes from the bedding area pretty locked down. No big boy though. Any thoughts?

You are down to the last few couple weeks of the season. Its now or never, time to pull out all the stops and if you spook him, so what, you dont have much time left anyway. I would somehow try and keep the area smelling hot. Make yourself a mock scrape and pour a good amount of estrous in it. Doctor it up real sexy like tongue.gif Make him want to stay in that area and keep looking. It doesnt appear as though him being nocturnal is an issue. If there are some does in heat he very well could be off with one right now and will be back when he is donw. The closer the 31st gets the more agressive you get too.

Go shoot him.

Yeah my guess would be he finished his business with that doe in your woodlot and is either tending a few fawns coming into heat someplace else or has found a better food source. Hard to say if he'll return or not... sounds like your place was the primary home cover of this buck and when he's done with whatever he's been up to - he'll most likely return at some point as long as food remains in the vicinity. All you can do is keep up what you've been doing and hope he shows instead of the 1/2 racks. Still plenty of time...