• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat 440 SnoPro

PEATMOSS

I saw a pair of 440 Sno Pro's for sale on the way to work today. One is a '99 and the other is an '03. Unsure of mileage on these sleds, but judging from their condition, they look like they've been rode pretty hard. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these models and what specifically I should be aware of if I pursue purchasing these. Any input appreciated.

You want a trail riding sled or racing sled?

Those machines were primarily designed for high performance racing, probably why they are beat up. IMO, I want to say they are kind of "fussy" machines. Unless you are knowledged on tinkering with sled engines, I wouldn't touch it for an every day riding machine.

Quote:

Those machines were primarily designed for high performance racing, probably why they are beat up. IMO, I want to say they are kind of "fussy" machines. Unless you are knowledged on tinkering with sled engines, I wouldn't touch it for an every day riding machine.

What he said..... grin.gif

These were high strung 440s considering the power they were pushing. IF they have been raced, motors have been more than likely 'tweaked' and you would need to run some pretty good fuel in them just to make them run without blowing up.

I'd look for something else.

Mike

The '03's require 110 octane gas unless the owner has installed low compression heads (also need to change jetting to match new compression ratio). The '03 also doesn't have the heat exchangers necessary for trail riding. There is a kit available for them for about $300-400 from what I remember. You also have a 1 3/8" track, so you'll burn up slides in a hurry on the trails.

The 99 SnoPro's were loaded with problems.

All in all, I would stay far away from both machines for trail riding. I've had SnoPro's since '97 and while great machines for racing, its only a matter of time before you have a very expensive problem on your hands.