• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Take a kid fishing--- and be prepared

rascalP

My 4 year old little girl just had her right-of-passage Tuesday. Nice warm day, so we pulled my fishtrap onto Chisago for some action sunnies. We fished there a few times last year and had great action on little sunnies. By the time I had the third hole drilled, I looked back and she had already stepped in the first hole--up to her hip. Every kid I've known with a foot smaller than 7" has done this at LEAST once. Well the tears dried quick, and I got her changed into spare snowpants and squeezed the water out of the sopping sock. But no spare boots or socks. RULE NUMBER ONE--- Bring spare EVERYTHING!! She was a trooper and sat in my fishtrap with stocking feet up on the edge. We fished but caught none so I suggested we move to another hole. I told her to sit on the sled and I'ld pull her to next hole. I gave a pull, the sled jerked and off she went, into a puddle of water. More tears and something about wanting her mommy. RULE NUMBER TWO--- Know when to cut your losses.
Back at the truck, she looked at me and said " I guess this was'nt such a good idea" I just told her it was a great idea but we had a few problems. All in all it was a good day.

rascalP

My daughter used to fill the hole up with slush and see if she could walk on it. What a suprise when she couldn't evan after I told her it wouldn't work.
Enjoy you're time fishing with youre kids, at 13 I can't get my daughter out fishing more than three or four times a year.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Rascal,
sounds like you made some memories though. You're a good father. So many times you see guys trying to escape their kids. The ice is so poor here I haven't gotten to take my 3 yr old daughter out yet. We do alot of trolling in the summer. She loves to fish, but not for too long. A 3 yr. old attention has it's limitations.
You and your daughter have a good season.

About time I hear someone else's story of a great day of taking a kid fishing smile.gif My seven year old stepped in the hole after two or three warnings from me. "Cold foot huh", I asked him....."yup" was his reply.
I wouldn't trade the day for any other thou.

I'm glad you now know the first rule of kid fishing, spare everything!

My 8 year old still remembers the time we went fishing and she caught 2 fish and dad didn't catch any (about 3 years ago).

The 'must have' things on our fishing list include a can of Pringles and a bottle of pop for those 'slow times' ice fishing.

Buck

The fishing trip that I remember as being my first was when I stepped in to the hole, upto my hip. My boot filled with water and came off. I had to sit in the car with the heater on until everybody else was ready to go.

Now that I have kids I try to take them out when I can. Because it was kind of a screwy year and the ice conditions have been iffy, my wife has barley let me go fishing, much less take Alex. Now the cold has set it, but it is a little colder then I like to take him though. It is a great experience watching him pull up a sunny, better to watch him scream with delight and fear when flopping a northern onto the ice.

kgm

Some of the best fishing trips I have ever been on have been when my kids are with. Alot of the time Dad does not get much fishing in but just sitting there and watching the expressions on the faces of the kids, how can it not be the best time of your adult life.

My little guy (the one who put his foot in the hole) walked up to me the other day with a tip up in his hands. Wanted to when why we didn't use it last time out. I had to promise him we'll be buying big minnows to try it next time. He reminds me every day that we need to buy BIG minnows smile.gif

(note to self.....extra socks, pants and boots)

I have an 8 month old son, so I don't think he will make it out this winter but one of the first pieces of advice my dad gave me was make sure when you take him ice fishing to bring extra everything. He learned the hard way with me when I was little. I can't wait to take him out for the first time. Maybe this summer in the boat.

My wife is so lucky, she had 3 boys. I've got two shacks and I've even got a great excuse to buy another one. My brother and I took 4 of our childeren out last winter. Before the lines were wet, two of them had wet legs. But after a fresh pair of pants and boots, they were both happy as a puppy. It was a blast for them to be able to sight fish perch. Don't forget to bring the video camera and just enough rods for the kids. I've got a classic moment on tape when my sun had a 10" gill hanging from the line in front of the camera. When the line snapped the rod snapped me and the camera. The also love to watch the VEX.

------------------
Rodbender

This seems like a good area to ask this...
How does everyone keep there kids safe from those 8 and 10" ice holes. My son is only 7 months old but next year I am a little worried about taking him on the ice. Just wondering what your advise is!

And no I really don't want to duck tape him to the 5 gallon pail! Just kidding...Swill

i have taken all 3 of my kids ice fishing before they were 10 months old. its the best that life has to offer watching a little one pulling up their first fish and more. just remember you planted that seed of fishing in them for years to come, it is something they will never forget. besides what better way to get to go fishing more than have the kid go bug mom if it is alright to go fishing she will never say no. remember they will be gone before you know it.

Dave hit the nail on the head. When you take the kid(s) fishing for the first few times don't plan on doing much fishing yourself. Make it a short day and warm if possible. Also bring something else to play with so when they loose interest in fishing they are still having fun. After a few times on the ice and as they get older they will tell you when they are ready to fish more, but watch out for the monster you created. They will want to go even if its -10, none of your equip. is safe anymore, plus they will out fish you most of time.
Trust me I know. We have 4 boys ages 13-2. The oldest 2 find my best rods to use, catch more fish than me, and then are mad when its time to go. The younger ones are still happy just messing around being with their big brothers and dad. And yes always pack a camera because it doesn't get any better than that...........D.C.

jiffyfoot,
I'll have you know that I'm still on the good side of 40 years old (unlike you)!!

I also seem to remember a time ice fishing on Mille Lacs with you when I went into Isle to pickup lunch for the both of us and upon my return one of your legs was wet for some reason.
I believe your comment at the time was something like:
"There are 2 #@$%#ing holes in the ice for a mile radius on this lake and I stepped in 1 of them up to my thigh".

I still laugh at that one!!!!

Buck

[This message has been edited by Buck Snort 2 (edited 01-16-2003).]

Always be prepared to leave. If you force a kid to be stuck on the ice or in a boat when they REALLY want to leave, you'll turn them off but good. The secret to my success with my 3 yr old? Snacks and, in the summer, an R.C. boat! It works wonders. I use Lindy marker buoys, and set him up a slalom course. At a little more than 2.5 yrs old, my boy could grab a walleye by the gill and hoist 'em.

.... I remember an incident with my 4 year old and a gallon of crappie minnows swimming around in the taboggan. Priceless.

Bucksnort, let me just say I think you are the reason garmin put a man over board function in their gps's.

I'm fairly new to this web site - but I'm finding myself here daily now. I couldn't resist posting to this topic. My son is 6 years old and we have blast fishing together. I have so many stories about our outings it would probably add a few pages here. However, I'll limit it to just one for now. Last year my buddy and I took him out on Mille Lacs for the weekend (yes tons of snacks, games and an under water camera came in real handy for a trip that long). We needed to go out and uncover the tip-ups (super windy that weekend) so I went through my speil about staying away from the heater and did a once over on the shack to make sure nothing sharp or dangerous was out and available. The tip ups being maybe 20 feet from the shack - what could happen. Well, upon finishing shoveling out the last tip-up I was startled by his blood curdling scream - I opened the door and he was standing there screaming and crying I was looking for either a fish or blood - but instead I noticed he was wet from the waist down. Shortly after getting him changed and a nice warm pair of slippers he caught his first Walleye. From that point on he was very proud that he was a member of the polar bear club. He has asked me when we are going agian at least a couple dozen times this year. (just a note I did drive seperate in case we needed to head home early).

Take care all - have enjoyed all of your stories!!

One of my best kid fishing memories was walking out on early ice with three of my boys. Heavy snow had sunk the ice and flooded in places. We fished on a high spot for almost 2 hours and when we were leaving my son Matt[about 7 then] was limping. I asked him why and he said his foot got wet and froze. It had gotten wet on the way out there and he hadn't told me because then he wouldn't have been allowed to fish. The boys are still nuts about fishing. Right now three of them are up on Mille Lacs for the weekend. Their older brother had to stay home and get his affairs in order. Seems that his Army Reserve unit is about to be called up. Chemical and Biological Weapons Detection. It was suggested that they have a dead Canary for a shoulder patch.
Hey Backwater Eddie, That Perch in the picture; how big is that? Impressive!! Last time I saw any that size was Devil's Lake and So. Dak. lakes around Webster.

After reading all the post's, I realized I forgot to mention my third rule: SNACKS!!

I get certain snacks that can only be taken fishing or camping like drink pouches, Twix, string cheese and other SPECIAL treats. It's great when they eye those up in the cubboard and suddenly ask to go fishing or camping.

Icehousebob, your post really hit home that my little girl will grow up someday. It would be such a thrill to someday post that her and her girlfriends are up at Mille Lacs, fishing this weekend. My thoughts go out to your son and hope all will be well with him in these tough times.

I had a neighbor that stuck one of his kids with a hook the other night. You may want to use only barbless hooks whenever fishing with kids or in a crowded boat. I remember times when my dad would take 5 kids out fishing and he never fished himself. He spent the whole day supervising us and making sure we were having fun in between dodging a bunch of lures whizzing by his head. I only hooked him once and he just bit the bullet and yanked out the hook. Woulda been easier if it were barbless.