• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My decison and why.

OK, after all these questions, my choices came down to a used Canon 300 F4 non IS for $699 plus a Canon 1.4 TC for $280 or a demo Canon 100-400 IS for $1264. I have decided on the 100-400. Although I could save almost $300, I feel the advantage with the 100-400 is being able to shoot at slower shutter speeds, due to the IS, 10 oz. lighter, and more versatility. With the prime, the time would come when I would have just the 300 mounted and something would appear quite aways off and I wouldn't have the time to throw on the TC. Although I've read that the 300 is extremely sharp, even with the TC mounted, I also read that it doesn't focus near as fast when together. Also, the more times I change lenses, the better chance of picking up dust in the sensor or even dropping the lens, in my haste.

I realize I'm only saving $46 by buying a demo rather than new, but I really can't see why there should be any difference, except maybe a small scratch or something.

Thanks all for the super advice I've received. It's been driving me crazy. It's kinda funny, but while I was typing this, I got a reply from another forum from someone who has the 100-400 IS and says she really likes it. Maybe it's an omen. wink.gif

I just found the 100-400 new for $1279.95 from Canoga Camera. Members from another forum have spent thousands $$$ with this company and they tell me they are top notch.

I just got off the phone with Canon and was told that adding a 1.4 extender to the 300mm would also increase the minimum focus distance by 1.4. This means the closest it would focus is a little over 11 ft. This cinches it.

I must say, I was on hold for Canon for maybe a whole 2 minutes and they were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. This is very unusual these days.

XT, you'd have been good either way. The MFD difference in the 100-400 and 300 is big for me, because I do a lot of avian shooting from a backyard blind with a variety of perches set up one at a time next to my feeder, and 400 mm from six feet away is significantly better for the small birds than 400mm from 11 feet away. Plus, if a bigger bird lands I can zoom out just a bit and get the shot.

It's also worth noting that, from six feet away, the 100-400 makes a pretty darn fair almost-macro. Particularly on floral photography when the blooms aren't too small or there's a cluster of blooms I want to capture, I use it a lot.

I do all my business with Canoga Camera unless they are out of stock on something I need right away. They've been my online vendor for four years. I've always been happy with their prices and their service. I've spent many thousands there with no complaints and have recommended them to many people.

Good luck and, of course, be sure to show us what you get. grin.gif

And, since there are a few experienced 100-400 shooters on this board, don't be shy with more questions. For starters, I always try to shoot my 100-400 at f7.1 or f8 if possible. That's a question of lighting and iso, of course, but I'm generally at iso400 unless I have what I need to drop the iso. The 8 Mp Canon sensors, even on the 1.6 crop cameras, have great noise performance at iso400. Virtually all lenses are slightly sharper stopped down one stop off wide open, and bumping the 100-400 from f5.6 to f7.1 or f8 sharpens up the image noticeably. I've shot plenty of images of marketable sharpness at f5.6 with that lens, but when light and technique allow, it's always worth getting the best out of the equipment. grin.gif