• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting them to commit - Ice edition

PikeTipper

I'm sure everyone has had the same scenario, those crappies that will follow your jig all the way up from 20ft down to 2ft from the ice and then just stop. I've tried changing jigs/bait and never seem to have any luck getting them to bite.

Any tips you guys can share?

It would depend on the conditions I might not even change jigs maybe just color, jigging action, lift speed or drop speed. Im not too experienced with that deep of water but thats usually where I start. If they aren't biting on the rise try stopping when raising it or even start dropping it if they are going to bite thats generally when I get mine to bite. If that doesn't work just lifting a few inches above them and slowly twitching will usually seal the deal if that doesn't work i'd give up on that hole and try the next one.

I would say two things... either change your presentation to a more aggressive approach or move to a new spot.

It's clear to me that those fish are not entirely sluggish, so maybe what you need is to present something more appealing to them? Try upsizing to a size 4 Ratso or a 2-inch Power Minnow or something along those lines. Give them a porterhouse instead of a medallion smile.gif

And in regards to moving, if you spend too much time over one hole without a bite, regardless whether or not there's fish there you need to make a move. Somewhere there are more active fish, you just have to find them...

yea it is really an expariment if you can bring them up that high maybe just stop jigging after you get them up there. or something like that...many people over jig there lures. It is a great way to bring the fish in but sometimes just letting it sit for about 10 seconds will do the trick.

My 2 cents.

Ryan

Now that is something I haven't tried Matt. I always downsize if they don't bite right down to the smallest thing I have in my tacklebox. Never thought of trying something bigger.

I'm bad at trying to wait fish out too, if they are on the graph then they usually have me hooked to that spot.

Thanks for the tips!

Yep, trying to get the 'sniffers' to go, in the words of Dave Genz, can be time consuming and sometimes downright frustrating.Finding active fish in another hole, or another location is the best option if a presentation change doesn't work.I have sat too long on a hole trying to get fish to bite, and it is a time killer when you only have so much of the day to fish.Find the active biters instead.

Other than moving to find active fish, one of my little tricks in this situation is to trim an ice buster so that a jig will fall slowly (so slow that it doesnt seem to be moving much at all) through the school of fish, for some reason this always seems to work on crappies that have commitment issues.

If that crappies lifts it wants to feed.

Upsizing or downsizing is usually what it takes

to get that fish to hit.

If a fish lifts that high you may want to pause longer between lifts.A finnicky slab usually will not lift more than a few feet at best.

moving is not an option for me if I marking the fish.

Finding out what will trigger them is the option.Once I do that I'll be catching fish.

Do not be afraid to get real small,say 100th oz hair jig or maribou.

although I've seen were a fatboy with 5 spikes on it was the ticket to get the strike.

Unlocking the puzzle is what makes ice fishing a challange.