• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It wont turn off!

maxx rpm

I bought a 85 jag 440 last year. It did not idle very well, although it did run great. I cleaned the carb and fired it up, and it would not shut off with the key. I used the choke, of course fouling the plugs. The switch on the handle bar was disconnected and the wires tied togather. I tested the switch and it functions correctly with ohm meter. I put in new plugs and kept them on the head just to test for spark. I disconnected the four wire harness going to the cdi and it still had spark. I can not see any damaged wires, although i didnt take the oil tank and airbox off to look at the wires behind them. Is the cdi no good? Or is there another possible problem? And is there another fix for this-wire from coil to ground or something? Appreciate the help!

In the mid 90's, Polaris had a wire on the recoil side that ran near the bottom of the engine. You could find it if you knew what to look for. It had a coupler on it and if you disconnected it, the sled would run until you choked it out. I'm guessing it was the short path used by kill switch and key switch for the ignition circuit. I would check to see if your sled has something similar and if it is disconnected.

I have been checking, and i think i found the issue. I cleaned all the connectors and the key is now working intermittently. It was not the cleaning that helped, it seems like i have a bad wire or broken where a wire goes into a connector. So i guess i will have to shop around for a connector, i would guess that you cant push it out and resolder it. Thanks for the suggestion FLAKER, i am from here too.

I had the same problem with a 87 AC Cougar. I went through 2 kill switches before finally permanently tying the wires together. To avoid further problems I would leave the wires tied and fix the problem with your ignition switch.

I would also use caution on taking advice from someone that burns up their machines, but i do appreciate all help. The kill switch on mine was already bypassed. I did take out the connector that i believed to have a broken wire, and it seems to function correctly now with the switch. So i think i am pretty much ready for some snow!

Good burn lawdog, but that is a photo of the Pike God himself riding his totally wicked sled. Plus, I did that cobbled wiring job when I was 14 when the only thing that mattered was getting it running, and at $0 cost.

But seriously, glad it worked out for you maxx, I'll have to remember that if the current owner of the '87 (brother in law)has the same issue.