• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bowfin!

DEADhead

Finally managed to catch a bowfin and add it to my lifelist. This male was definitely a piggie. It had the nice blue/turquoise fins as well.

bowfinyp7.jpg

I managed to catch a nice female bowfin shortly after this fish was released. doubles. Man these fish are fierce!

Quote:

Finally managed to catch a bowfin and add it to my lifelist.

I see your getting closer to me. I'd better get a move on or you'll be passing me up soon. I'd also like to add a bowfin to my lifelist.

Awesome colors on that one!

Nice work. Bet those things would be a blast on the old "9weight" grin.gif

I do have to agree, dogfish/bowfin are a lot of fun to catch because they put up a nasty fight. My favorite is fishing pannies in the early spring up in the shallows and you see one lurking. They will almost always attach a flu-flu and getting one on the ultra-light is way fun. I just don't like handling them once inside the boat.

I'm thinking Shields Lake Rice Co. One of the two state record Bowfin came out of French Lake which is only 2-3 miles away from Shields Lake.

It is a fun fish. They can tail walk better then a Bass.

I was angling through a spear hole 2 days ago on South Center Lake in Lindstrom when a nice bowfin cruised through and took a swipe at my sucker minnow - but missed. It looked like about 8 lbs or so.

Anyone else have a dogfish bark at them or is it just me! They sometimes exhale air out of their air bladder when they are out of water and it sounds like a bark. Was told by a DNR fisheries guy that they can get oxygen out of the air because of their air bladder. This is what they are doing when they roll on the surface in midsummer.

To catch a large dogfish, the best time is in the early spring.

Move into the shallows when the panfish are spawning.The dogfish will be cruising through. They will bite on almost annything but prefer a large minnow or gobs of night crawlers.

That air bladder lets the Bowfin move up into water in the upper 80' and low of Oxygen.

I have seen Bowin pin small fish to the shoreline and swim back and forth waiting for them to make a run for safty. It's quite a site when there is 4-5 Bowfin working the area.