• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sold my first photo!

It's kind of interesting. I posted my bear photo (protective mother), on another forum, one I don't frequent too often because of the snobs, and got just 1 comment and a "ditto", out of over 150 views. But, the one comment actually led to my first photo sale. This gentleman from Canada wanted the file so he could make a print and frame and matte it for his den wall. Evidentally, lack of comments doesn't really mean much. I didn't charge much, but to me, it's a pretty good feeling that someone actually liked it that much to want it professionally printed and framed.

I may have to book another trip to Alaska. wink.gif

Congratulations! I guess from a purist standpoint it shouldn't matter whether a photo that you like sells or not, but it is always flattering to know that someone is willing to PAY MONEY to have one of your shots! Well done!

X, I just read your post more carefully and it sounds like you transmitted an acutal image file for him to get a print made from?

Is that right?

I'd recommend against that for future sales, even if you don't sell many images. If he has the image file, he can make as many prints as he wants, or he may share the file with friends so they can use it. Not that he will, and I don't mean to imply he or most other people are dishonest, it's just that the best way to protect yourself and your future potential profits from this image is to have an acutal print made in the size he requested and ship the print, not the file.

I have most of my printing done by White House Custom Color right in St. Paul, transmitting them electronic files for printing and getting them shipped (free shipping) to my door here in Ely within two business days, then signing them and shipping them to the customer myself. They are quite inexpensive, the quality is excellent, and so is the service. WHCC is online. Just an option to consider if you hope to sell more prints in the future.

Thanks for the congrats, everyone.

Steve, the thought did pass my mind. However, I did clarify that the file could only be used for a 1 time printing. I also put the copyright logo and my name at the bottom. Sure, I understand if he was crooked and knew how to use photoshop, he could clone out the copyright. He did promise that as soon as he got the print back from the lab, he would delete the file. I know, promises, promises. Actually, if I would have sent him an 8 X 10 print, he could still scan it and make multiple prints. Where there is a will, there is a way. But, you are right, this isn't the best way to sell a print. In the future, I'll only sell the actual print. Thanks for the tip on your lab. I've used mpix a couple times, and so far I've been happy.