• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basic archery help

Ufatz

Need some help with beginner stuff. What is a typical long bow combination? i.e. 40lb pull means what length arrows? Is a right hand bow actually held with left hand, string drawn with right? Just trying to find a simple outfit for target shooting, no hunting. Will probably try to buy some use stuff off internet and can't remember stuff I used to know!! Thanks. wink.gif

Do you mean longbow as in no wheels? Or long bow as in "not a crossbow?" If you're looking into traditional archery (which, in my opinion, is a lot more fun), there are a lot of websites that can help. Stickbow and Trad Gang come to mind. Basically, arrow length depends on draw length. Draw length depends on the length of your arms. Generally, a 6' tall guy draws 28", plus or minus. I'm 6' tall, and my main bow is 68" from tip to tip, and it's 55# at a 28" draw length. You can go pretty light for targets, and I'd suggest a low weight for your first bow. 30# to 40# is pretty good.

Compound bows are a different story... I'll let someone else answer those questions.

Good luck. Shooting a longbow, even at straw bales, is a heck of a lot of fun.

I think Husker did a great job at answering your question... Arrow length is dependant on you... and bows are usually measured at 28 of draw. So if you draw less than that you will not get the poundage that is listed on the bow..

You are correct in your RIght hand thoughts.. a Right handed bow is held with the Left hand. I have 2 recurves, they are fun.. I dont hunt with them, but they can be a bunch of fun... Up at our cabin we play a game called Barchery.. which is a combination of boccie ball and archery...