• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV EFI vs Carb

DRH1175

Will be in the market for a new atv finally this year. What is the low down on efi vs carb. I guess the power isn't that big of a deal since I believe both will be good. But more reliability, maintence, and cold weather starting since I will be using it a lot on the ice. What are everyones opinions?

Not as good on mileage? That's new to me - I've heard they were better on gas, not that it's a major factor to me.

EFI vs Carb: basically, the way I see it, if you like to add mods and tweak and have the mechanical skills to deal with carbs if needed, they're great.

I will primarily use my quad in cold weather (ice fishing, plowing, etc.), so I value the instant fire up that EFI provides in most any weather. When repair time comes, though, it will likely be more expensive.

The entire ATV industry seems to be moving to EFI in all brands and more and more models, so that's another indicator to me that EFI will only be getting better and become the standard.

When I buy my ATV this year, it's gonna be EFI.

With my experience with efi quads is worse milage. I have 2 quads both carberated, I have friends with the same two quads with efi, I can get alot better milage then they can, and anybody that I have ridden with, that has the efi, is always worried about gas, while I still have over half of a tank, and I dont ride mine very easy.

I have a hard time believing that carbs are better on gas milage but I guess anything is possible. Myself I've spent my whole life either choking or priming stuff in the cold and I got tired of it so when I bought my new wheeler this past month the one thing on the top of the list was EFI. With out a doubt I'll never go without it again if the option is there...

I know my KQ 700 EFI is easier on gas than my buddies 660 Grizz. One problrm with mine is a slght draw on the battery. I need some juice to start it. I find myself pull starting a lot. If the battery totally goes you are dead in the water. A carb will always start...not so with the EFI.

All of the big bore machines are now efi. If you are getting anything smaller, you won't have much choice. You will be buying for other things rather than if it has efi.

I have an efi machine (Sportsman 500) and a carbed brute force 750. Both start up just fine for me. With the carb at least I can tell when it is warmed up. They are making them very user friendly. Even a cave man could start these things and take off riding. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. grin.gif