• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV or snowmobile for ice fishing mobility?

fishing addict

I posted this on the ATV and sled forums and got helpful but limited responses. I thought I would try the main forum to see if i can get more input. This would be a big investment and I want to make the right decision. I usually fish out of permanent shelters and want to start being more mobile. I have never owned an ATV or snowmobile. Any opinions on the benefits and drawbacks of each. Any references of old discussions on this topic would be appreciated as well. thanks.

I just purchased my first ATV this fall and so far have found it to be far more useful than my snowmobile ever was. It has lots of carrying racks, rides great,pulls anything I have hooked up to it(even my 8x10 permanent fish house),you don't need snow to run it,quiet running if you get a 4 stroke(no exhaust fumes either),can be used in the summer and fall for yard work or hunting access.
I even bought a snow plow for mine and it works great for my long driveway.
I have heard that they can have problems in deep snow but have had no problems in drifts of 1' or better yet.
If I had it to do over I would never have bought my snowmobile!
Hope this helps a little.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

fishing addict, here's a thread more about the selection of an ATV for ice fishing. As many stated, and you know this year as well, snowmobiles are very limited in time actually used.

This may help you. You can also try the "search" feature yourself for additional discussions on this topic.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000008.html

I prefer a snowmobile. The only down fall is when there is NO snow for lubrication. A 4-wheeler will not be able to go through all the snow conditions as a snowmobile will. A snowmobile wil be able to pull alot easier through snow. I fish on Lake of the Woods and most years 4-wheelers have a tough time in snow conditions. One of these years were going to have normal snow conditions, and a 4-wheeler will have to stay on roads.
Snowmobiles glide over cracks easly where wheels have problems with cracks, unless your carrying planks. You'll be able to cover more ground, stay warmer, and dryer in wet conditions.
In the spring time snowmobile will be able to glide over soft and bad layer ice conditions, verses wheels will dig in. I was fishing with my brother and he was on his Sportsman 500 and in soft conditions he would be stuck, I would drive up on my snowcat hook a rope up and drag him to better conditions. In the spring time the cracks will be more active and the snowmobile will glide over them.
At my cabin I have a 4-wheeler and 2 snowcats and you can tell what i use. I will use a 4-wheeler at first ice with no snow otherwise snowmobile. In the spring when there is no snow the ice is usually soft, slushy conditions which gives you plenty lubrication and coolent.You can cover ground very fast and stay dry when hitting soft water holes, on the 4-wheeler you will get wet.
A 4-wheeler is a very good, fun unit year round with lots of uses, but the question is, Which is better a snowmobile or 4-wheeler for ice fishing? A snowmobile by far! Not cutting done a 4-wheeler but thats my expirence and my two cents worth.
Good luck, Happy fishing!

Tuna, you hit the nail right on the head. I use my widetrack all season long without any trouble at all. For bare ice conditions, all that is needed is a ice scratcher for lubrication of the hifax and cooling.

http://www.slp.cc/Polaris_Catalog/icescratch.html

[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 12-31-2002).]

If you use the extreme's of either side of the argument you will need a sled, a wheeler, a hover craft, a Florida fan boat and if that all fails have your Lund attached to the whole works. Get your self a bike if you can afford only one you will get a lot of use and you can get a lawn mower attach for the wife when your in the brand new Triton 21'