• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Perch Meat Question, looks strange...

Chad711

Just like Cliff said, the easiest way to know for sure if the perch is full of the worms is to look not only on the outside of the gill plate, but more importantly on the inside of the gill plate. The majority of the fish that I've caught with the worms will show an abundance on the inside of the gill. I've even run across this while in Canada this fall. There was a lake close to where we were bear hunting and we were able to catch a large number of jumbos. However, we didn't even bother to keep one the gills were so full. One or two aren't a problem, but if they are full, I'll just throw them back. Besides, they are still fun to catch!

I am a former MN DNR fisheries biologist. The people who said that the photo was of the Yellow grub were right on. Clinostomomum Marginatum is the latin name. The Yellow grub is a larvel form of one of the flukes or flatworms (trematoda). This worm appears as a yellowish swelling in or just under the skin of fish such as Rock Bass and Perch. The adult worm lives in the mouth of the great Blue Heron and other fish eating birds. The eggs pass in to the water and hatch into free swimming larvae (mirracidia) which enters snails. Inside snails these larve reproduce and eventually leave as tiny free swimming forms called (cercaria); the cercaria burrow into the skin of a fish and become encysted there, remaining until the fish is eaten by a bird. In the bird the parisite complete thier development and become adult worms. They are harmless to man and do little damage to fish. The are practlly impossible to eradicate because it would be necessary to destroy all fish-eating birds or all snail host. Fish from shallow weedy water tend to have more grups do the the proximity to more snails. Deep water fish tend to be "cleaner".