• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

UFC 77

jltimm

Well Franklin got beat again by Anderson Silva. Tim Sylvia won by decision against Brandon Vera. Stephan Bonner won by referee stoppage.Okami beat Jason Mcdonald. There were some other fights, but I don't remember who they were or who one? One last note, Dana White announced last night that there is a "new" heavyweight that has just been signed --- Brock Lesnar! Now that heavyweight division might get interesting after losing Randy Couture!

That Lesnar thing might be interesting, but isn't he a little long in the tooth to start seriously fighting MMA?

I know he was like a champion college wrestler, (Was he also an Olympics champion?)a wrassler in the WWF, WWA, or whatever the sanctioning bodies are called and I believe he played pro football for a spell. I also think he got his back hurt doing one of those things?

That MMA stuff is a whole nuther smoke when compared to the other contact sports!

Pure boxers can concentrate on throwing punches and defense against thrown punches, without the fear of getting kicked, kneed during the clinches, thrown to the canvas and beat on with various hard body parts, such as elbows and knees....having their arms and legs bent in the wrong directions and having someone trying to strangle them from all different angles.

Wrestlers don't have to worry about getting punched in the face, kneed during the clinches, choked until the light goes out, all kinds of things.

MMA fighters have to be aware of all that stuff and how to apply it and how to defend it. Lesnar is for sure a gifted athlete, big, strong, durable, but so are most of the MMA fighters, plus they have been into martial arts since they were kids....he is just starting when some of the fighters are thinking about quitting such a demanding sport.

I wonder what he has been doing? I haven't heard anything about him for a couple of years? How old is Lesnar? Just guessing, I would think late 20's early 30's...mid 30's maybe?

Lesnar was in Japan pro wrestling, and then went to K-1 Fighting where he had one fight. He beat the guy he fought in 69 seconds by submission from strikes! He's been training in MMA for a few years. He has visited the Miletich Camp down in Iowa, and also trained with Royce Gracie. He has the wrestling background, now if he can avoid strikes and submissions there may be a new contender in the heavyweight ranks? Can't let Tim Sylvia be the champ, cause he's as boring as they get!

He was a dominate NCAA wrestler. 4 time All American, one time NCAA runner up and won the NCAAs his senior year. Few come into MMA w/ that kind of wrestling background (think Mark Coleman or Dan Henderson).

His shear size alone will be tough to deal with, 265 lbs of muscle....I cant wait!

I would think he would have to go through afew pretty tough hombres before he got to Sylvia! But your right, Sylvia doesn't bring much excitement to the octagon.

It's good to know he has been doing some MMA training, but speaking of K-1 and size, strength, etc. That monster Bob Sapp had a he11 of a time with that Ernesto Jouse (sp) that smaller guy from the Netherlands...he may have even beaten him once? Size and physical strength doesn't always equate to invincibility!

Size isnt everything, but Bob Sapp was a football player and Brock is (was?) a world class wrestler.

Speaking of Sapp, have you ever heard Superstar Mike Morris talk about playing w/ Sapp on Fan Radio? I guess he was deathly afraid of worms and bugs. They would tickle his neck w/ a blade of grass and he would scream like a little girl. Too funny.

I do think it would be hard to submit a guy with Brock Lesnars build and strength. The other thing is does he have a good chin? I would think his stamina would be good having been in wrestling, and his athletic ability is unreal for a guy his size! Now if he can knock people out with slams....? smile.gif

I guess we'll see soon enough if he continues on in the UFC.

There is another hard nosed hombre from Minnesota named Brock Larsen, has all the tools and the strength of a gorilla, hits like a trip hammer, but even he got submitted the last time I seen him fight.

I was looking for him to go through his guy like schmidt through a tin horn, but....

Easier said then done, when you know you are physically stronger then your opponent and have the power in either hand to turn out the lights and bring on the night!

The smaller Brock is pretty compact also, alot moreso then that guy he fought. Wasn't that scrappers name Condit? I do believe Larsen has a really good wrestling background also?