• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any one have any experieance with Canon 28-135 IS USM?

Steve's the expert on Canon, of course. However, he'll probably want to know what you intend to use the lens for. There is quite a difference in focal lengths. If you want it for scenics, you'll definitely want the 17-40. Once you factor in the 1.6 factor, 28mm is not going to give you anything near a wide angle.

I'm just trying to prepare you in advance for one of the questions Steve will probably have for you. wink.gif

Paul as X has mentioned what is the intended use? He is right on the 17-40 is a nice landscape lens and group portrait lens. The 28-135 to me is more of a walk around type lens. I have the 17-40 and use it a tremendous amount, sharp, beautiful colors. X is correct in saying the 28 will not be wide enough on the 30D, I have a 28-75/2.8 that even on the Mark II with a 1.3 crop factor is not wide enough. You will get some distortion that is easily corrected in PS at the wide end.

I would strongly encourage you to make sure you test drive the 17-40 to make sure you have a good copy. There are some soft ones right out of the box floating around out there.

Well for the most part it will be my short distance lense. Thinking of the multiplier of aprox 1.5 on my XTi I would maybe think that 17 is a good start. I went to the most worthless camera store on the planet today in our local mall. Store starts with an R ends with Z. Any way they had not one single canon ef or ef-s lense of any kind on the shelf Their reply was of course, We could order it for you. No dumby I want to play with it first. Like buying a car, test b4 you drive.

Paul, if you want to test drive (always a good thing) and have time to wait, head to National Camera in the TC.

Otherwise, it's online or having a store order it, me bucko. grin.gif

You've already gotten the same advice I'd have given you. I own one of those lenses (the 17-40) and have used the 28-135 several times. The 17-40 is probably the way to go. If you guy the other, there will be quite a few times you want to set up for a wide angle shot, whether it's a group of people or a landscape image, and will find that you don't have a wide enough lens. I use ithe 17-40 for group portraiture and wide angle scenery, and it is a complete winner.

I haven't had mine for long and did have a 28-135. It's a decent lens if you shoot on the longer end - nice color and contrast - but limiting at 28mm on a 1.6x camera.

I replaced my 28-135 with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, which is a nice lens except the buzzy sound of non USM lenses is like fingers down a chalkboard to me. It also doesn't focus as well as the 17-40 L. I ended up selling the Tamron and getting the Canon. I've hardly used my other two lenses since I got it. It's very versatile.

dreams.jpg

happyparis.jpg

cows_002.jpg