• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Setting the hook on a tipups

Reefdawg75

What are your tipup hook setting methods? I have waited untill the line stops moving and pulled up the slack. Missed fish! I have done quick yanks to set the hook. Missed fish! Several of these methods I have tried do not seem to be consistant at all. Most of the time I put tipups out for northerns. right now I uses a quick strike rig with 2 treble hooks and a blade for flash. What successfull hook setting methods have you guys been using?
Thanks,
Shea F

when fishing for crappies, since they bite light. my friend grabs the top of the tipup to hold the line then just grabs the tipup and pulls it out of the hole quick. everytime he catches em which is pretty weird lookin when he does it. bigger fish i donno but atleast for smaller fish that worked good. for me, usually when the fish are running thats when i grab the tipup and let the slack out so they wont feel me, i wind up the slack after a bit and just set the hook if they are there. not the greatest but i always seem to get some fish.

[This message has been edited by pig_sticka (edited 12-20-2002).]

Usually I pull the tip up out of the water and give the fish some line to run a little. Then while it is still running I set the hook. It also depends on what kind of rig you have, I almost always use a quick strike rig so I hardly ever miss a fish. If I switch to a jig on my windlass tip up then I still put a stinger hook on. The bonus to the quick strike rig is that most of the fish you get are not gut hooked so you can release them.
><>Deadeye

I like to look at the T as its turning on the top of the tip up and and play out the hookset depending on how fast it's turning. If it's walleyes alot of times it will be turning slowly as they turn and swim away with the bait and if thats the case I will spin the T in the same direction as its turning to put some slack in the line so you can pick the tipup up and set it to the side of the hole and give yourself enough slack line to play with so that you can lay the line in your hand to feel the fish pulling without it feeling you-that's when I set it. For pike it seems like they will grab the bait and run for ahile and then stop to reorient the bait in thier mouth before heading off again- I like to wait til they stop and then spin out a little line and get the slack laying in my hand to feel it take it's second run-this is when I set again. Otherwise I have also had success with the T-grab described by pigsticka as well. I think the key to setting on a tipup is to make sure the fish doesn't feel you picking the tipup and getting ready cause they may drop the bait. Hope this helps because tip ups are nice to spread out your lines and you don't have to be sitting on top of the fish-and there's something magic about seeing that flag pop up! Good luck-redhooks

I agree with redhook exact way I do it, very sucsessful. Most important running some slack out before picking up the tipup.

Read treble hook above make sure that is with a lure or stinger on a jig. Hate to see someone pay fine.

Setting the hook? Heck I had this northern pull my HT wind jigging tip up under the ice! One moment i say is jigging next I saw the tip up tip towards the ice and bam it was gone frown.gif Oh well I busted a nice 13 pounder about an hour later smile.gif

Has anyone else lost a tip up? Maybe my line froze up or it was too close to the 8"hole. Sneaky fish