• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about Hunting

I just asked another post this question and maybe someone in here and give me a good answer.

Why if I only want to bow hunt in NY do I have to take a gun hunting course and buy a gun hunting license to just archery hunt?

Im not saying its right but its probably due to the fact that years ago most people got into "hunting" then eventually archery? Plus its not a "gun" saftey course its a "hunter saftey course" that comes first. That archery stamp permits you to hunt more that just deer with the bow...

I see your point though - what if someone only want to get into archery....

The only issue I have and its from personal experience with NY's "Hunters Ed" is the fact that I had to take a bow hunters course before I could buy a Archery tag. All I had to show them to buy a gun license was prior experience. Heck I had archery license's for Bear, Elk, Deer from the past but it didn't matter. I ended up sitting out the first year I was here because of that stupid rule. I guess stupid is a bit much but if they will take prior experience for gun hunting you would figure archery would be the same.

Hunters Ed is a great thing and it teaches new hunters a lot of things on numerous subjects and I'm all for it