• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you only could have one lure, what would it be?

Ok, one lure for each species. What would it be? Size and color too. I'm kinda partial to the 1/4 oz. green prizm pimple for walleye, and the 1/10 ounce for perch.

Crawlerman:

I agree. I usually back-hook a minnow on a glow demon, because I like the way it struggles against the hook and I can charge the demon to glow in stained water or after dark.

But some days, the fish seem put off even by the jig, and a bare hook works best. And on the days when they'll take a minnow on the demon, they'll also take one on the bare hook. Thus, best all around is the minnow/bare hook.

Speaking of hooks, set the hook! in the words of Stinger1600. grin.gif

Unless you've got a circle hook, of course.

All in all, for openwater (or icefishing) I'd go with a 1/16oz black marabou jig. Nothing you can't catch with a properly presented jig.

If we're strictly talking icefishing, scale the jig down to 1/32oz, and make it 1-inch black Berkley Power Grub or Tube.

-a friend called Toad

Mine would be a silver Swedish Pimple, with some kind of green or orange on it, tipped with a minnow or just minnow head. It has nevered seemed to let me down, and it has produced the most fish for me. But I would say that a slip bobber set up with a hook and minnow would come a very close second.

Now lets all pray for this warm weather to go far far away, so we can get back to winter.

merry xmas to everyone and be safe out there.

Keep auger drilling and rods bending
Jason

grinched,

Figured you had to be from Illinois before I saw your profile. Most folks up here aren't familiar with "wigglers"; perhaps you'd care to elaborate. I'll fill in the details if we don't hear from you 'cause I think once folks heard what they were, somebody down there would have more business than they could handle. Wish I could find them around here!

(NO. I'm not from IL, and wouldn't admit it if I was!! -- no offense grinched)

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

Matt.D, mayfly nypth or lavra right. Its a kickin bait. it constantly moves and when you jig it it's more deadly. By the way I also would use three spikes on the pimple on the other pole... P.S. I can get those wigglers.

Yep!

To the best of my knowledge (those I've fished with down there), the ones being sold for bait are (genus)Hexagenia mayfly nymphs. These are the BIG boys, and fish go bonkers for 'em. I spend every day from early May to mid Aug. on L. Kabetogama in N. MN. The walleyes get really finicky when there's a hatch going on, and those I've caught are absolutely full of mayfly nymphs (a different genus/species). I still haven't figured out why someone hasn't tried to market them up here for ice fishing (million-dollar idea!). Climate differences might mean they wouldn't be as effective, but hey, I like brats in the winter just as much as the summer! (Yeah, cheesehead by birth)

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt