• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

05 Honda Rincon front brakes

davidr

Hello, has anyone had issues with the front brakes on the Rincon 650 ? I can pull the break all the way back and it wont engage and when it does its very minor. I checked the fluid and it appears to be full....could an air bubble cause this ? I was thinking maybe its the cable but there isnt a cable on the front breaks. Anyway, any advise will be apprieciated.

I am not positive, but the earlier year has drum brakes in the front, and you would need to adjust them . I am not sure about the 05 though, I know the new ones have disc brakes.

there should be an adjustment dial. you have to pull off the rubber plug on the outside of the rim. your owners manual shows how to do it. pretty easy to do, i've done mine many times. you may also have water in them and have to be cleaned out and resealed

makes sense, considering this started after a long weekend in nemadji mud and water. Will I need to drain all of the brake fluid and basically start over ? Thanks for the tips fellas.

Drum brakes can kind of be a PITA sometimes. They do require a bit of maintainence especially if you're a mud or water rider. You might want to look into the disc brake conversion kit from Highlifter. Alot less maintainence and better braking performance

The fluid should be ok. The problem is water and mud gets in to the drum and you need to pull the drum off to clean it out. One of hondas stupid ideas of holding onto the past with drum brakes smirk.gif

thanks for the input guys...me and the boys are going to tear into it tonight, i will let you know what we find. And I will be looking into the disc brake kit, much easier to deal with.

Pulled apart the breaks and the front right was shot...got some mud and water in the drums and smoked the pads and the main seal around the drum. Honda sells the pads with all the hardware( springs and pins, etc) so it was a pretty easy fix. Mental note, after a weekend in the mud check the inspection plug for water or mud. smile.gif