• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc Verado 175HP

LakeTahoe

Okay, I need some advice on this motor? Good, bad, opinions. Seems like a sweet motor on an 18ft Lund pro-v. 3 year warranty. Any thoughts on this motor? ANY advice would be awesome!!! Have always had a newer generation 2 stroke... is 4-stroke the way to go?

Thanks, LT

Almost my dream motor grin.gif

I ordered my boat in July/Aug of 2005. The 'baby verados' were just hitting the market back then. I was very tempted to go with one but 1) I could't get a firm delivery date, and 2) I didn't want to own a motor in its first year of production. Plus I sort of had my heart set on a 175 Opti for its performance and excellent track record ..... but I was tempted by the Verado.

I went with the Opti and have no complaints or regrets other than it being a loud motor.

At times now I think I should have or could have gone with the Verado. I've heard good things about them, and now they're more fuel efficient than previously. I have a friend that has an '06 150 Verado and he really likes it.

It's not a cheap motor, in fact it's about as expensive as you can get, but if that's what you want I'd say go for it. Good luck.

I own a 2005, 200HP Verado and it's an awesome motor. I've got it on a 1900 Lund Pro-v. I debated for a long time between it and the Optimax and yes the Optimax is a great motor, but after owning a Verado, I'd have a hard time going back to the 2-Stroke. They are unbelievably quiet, smooth and really run nice. I can talk with the person in the passenger seat while running full speed, when idling it's hard to even hear it running at times. I can and do troll crankbaits with the motor and it's quieter than most kickers that I've been around. If there is a drawback it would be the fact that they're bigger and heavier than the 2-strokes, but if that's not an issue for you, go for the Verado, you won't be dissapointed.

I have to agree with what has been already said. I have a 2006 150 verado with smartcraft and the DTS. Great System.

One word of advice.Try and buy a 2008 if you can! Rumor has it that the 2008's will be available with out the California Emissions stuff and will have better Fuel economy!

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Good Luck!

As the above has said, if you're set on a Verado make sure you're getting one of the new models that has many revisions to the engine which help the economy and performance. I saw a picture at one time and it had a slightly different appearance to set it apart from the original engines. I think it had some silver/chrome added to the engine hood and some different graphics too. There was some grumbling about the economy of the Verado, but these new engines are supposed to have addressed that.