• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What the fish?

Surprisingly, I caught it on a sassy shad on a 1/8oz jighead.

That night we also caught 2 whitebass, a buffalo, 4 eyes, 1 little norther, 1 sheepie, and only 1 smallie. Most fish were on the sassyshad, rattlin rogue, or mimmic minnow. It was an OK night for 3 people fishing 5-9, much better than the last couple outing in which we got skunked.

what sort of depths did you get the most action? I haven't seen one of those other than on the bottom. That's a nice bag of species for one outing. To be honest, I have only flyfished or use bait down there. I'll be sure to break out the good stuff next time. Trying to get there end of the week or this weekend. Weather is supposed to be decent too.

I have found fish throughout the entire water column in the river. I have a technique where I cover deep and shallow on alternating casts to make sure I cover as much water as I can.

My primary bait is plastic on a 1/8oz jig. I specifically choose this size head because on slow retrieves you can feel the bottom and fast retrieves are near the surface. One huge recommendation is never give up on a cast, I am surprised on how many fish strike with 2-3ft from shore, it usually scares the dump outta me when they explode on a lure right in front of your face grin.gif

Muddug-

I don't think the photo you posted is a smallmouth buffalo, but one of the types of Carpsuckers. It sure looks like a Highfin as well but I can't be positive as to which one it is. I don't think its a buffalo however, the location and shape of the mouth is wrong, the shape of the dorsal fin is not quite a buffalo (close though), buffalo have dark, dark eyes.

If you go to the link Sparcebag posted and check out Highfin Carpsucker, the photo there and your photo are almost a perfect match.

I could be dead wrong too, I don't see enough of these fish, and haven't seen many really small Buffalos.

Quote:

DSCN1131.jpg

Quillback

It not a river carpsucker as they are longer and more slender bodied. I don't believe the highfins get quite that big.

Plus it looks perfectly like a Quillback as best I can tell from the photo.

PS. We put a Quillback in the boat this spring out of Pool 2.

Nice fish

Quote:

It is hard to tell from the Pic. It may be a Smallmouth Buffalo.

[image]
SmallmouthBuffaloYoungTellicoNegus.jpg
[/image]

It's not a buffalo. The silver ring in the eye does not exist in the buffalo species, and the eye sockets are much darker in the buffalo species.

I'm pretty sure you've got yourself a highfish carpsucker there. I won't say for 100% thou. Again, the slender silver ring in eye is the indication.

Well I have decided that it was a quillback, next time I will get some better pics laugh.gif.

Here is a great link for fish Identification

http://www.wiscfish.org/fishid/wFrmWisconsinFishList.aspx

You can find a fish and then click on the button "similar species" and see other fish like it, really cool!

This first pic is a Qullback.

[image]quillback.jpg[/image]

This is a Smallmouth Buffalo.

[image]1buffalob.jpg[/image]

Pretty much round tail or pointed tail!

and this is a 20lb LgMouth we boated in July.

[image]20lbbuf.jpg[/image]

Quote:

Well I have decided that it was a quillback, next time I will get some better pics
laugh.gif

Here is a great link for fish Identification

You can find a fish and then click on the button "similar species" and see other fish like it, really cool!

Now thats a great ID link!! I'm keepin my old one but your site is much nicer!! cool.gifsmile.gif