• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery Question

eyehunter

I just aquired a 1994 Polaris 300 4-wheeler and it is in need of a new battery. I measured the battery and the "seat" that it sits in and went to a department store to buy a new one. The parts book at the store said to buy a certain one, but looking at the overall dimensions on the box it was a bit larger than the one that was in it. The one that they had that would fit in the bracket is a little shorter than the other one. My question is...Is there a difference in the voltages or cranking amps in these batteries? Am I not going to be happy with the results I get with the smaller battery? I can't imagine that it takes much to turn the starter over, I'm just concerned with it starting in the winter.

I know that I should probably bite the bullet and go to Interstate and buy the $53.00 one but this one is half that price.

Thoughts anyone???

Napa may have them cheaper. You could also try shadetreepowersports.

The battery will be fine as long as the starter is good and you drive it once in awhile. Most of the batteries you hear about going bad are either just old or the machine has been sitting too long.

I would personally bite the bullet and go with an Odyssey Battery. Do a google search and you will find the HSOforum. You will not be disappointed. They are capable of withstanding the abuse that ATV's take. Your Wally World batteries won't.

Odyssey costs more, but you simply won't find a better ATV battery on the market.

Ditto on the Wally world batteries...last year I bought one for my Kody, and it only lasted one year. Lesson learned! As one guy mentioned to me in a previous similar thread, you get what you pay for...

Don't waste your time on the cheap ones. My old ride eats one of them every 12 to 18 months. On my Sportsman I went to Batteries Plus and got their AGM battery. So far so good but only 12 months so far. If you go there, print the price from the web. It is about $20 more in the store but they honor the web price if you bring in a print out.

LEP ~

Dug this post out as I was in need of a new battery for my quad, and remembered you were quite biased on the Odyssey batteries.

I took your advice and "bit the bullet" .. bought a new Odyssey this afternoon. The mgr of the store confirmed your opinion of being the best in the world...plus he knocked 15% off the sticker price (after I told him my sob story of my Wallyworld battery and it's 12 month existence).

Thanks for the advice!

I purchased mine from their HSOforum and it took 3 days to arrive. I was amazed at how fast they shipped it out. I was even more impressed with the durability. I rode the snot out of that DS 650 and the battery took all of the abuse I could dish out.

The "run-of-the-mill" batteries can't handle the jarring, jumping, and slamming around like the Odyssey does.

[Admin Note: Please read Forum Policy before posting again]

EFGH~

I bought mine at Batteries Plus. I did a quick search of their site, and found that there is a store in Mankato (19 miles or so) from you.

On a side note, when I bought my "Wallyworld" battery, it cost me $84.12 ($78.99+tx), and that was the cheapest I could find anywhere. At Batteries Plus, total cost (with the discount), was $111.83, tax included.

Bottom line -- had I known then what I know now, I would've easily spent the additional $27.00 for a battery that will last 2-3 times as long. If this new battery lasts for 3 years, it breaks down to a cost of $37 per year, or a mere $3.10 a month. (Whereas the old battery, lasting 12 months, ended up costing over $7.00 a month). The savings is obvious!

As LEP said, you can also buy directly from the Odyssey HSOforum or from the Batteries Plus HSOforum(althought the Odyssey was only available in stores). The AGM Extreme was available to purchase online.