• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jiffy ice auger problems

wasssit

Quite possible you've got a blockage somewhere between the gast tank and carb, and may not be the primer bulb at all. I'd drain the gas tank and pull off the line to see if it's blocked, or if there's something blocking the gas tank or carb opening. Don't know if your gas tank has a filter at the bottom or if there's an in-line gas filter that might also be clogged.

How old's your auger? How'd you store it after last season? Unless you ran it out of gas before you stored it, or used fuel stabilizer, I'd bet money you've got a plugged carb jet. You say your hunch is the primer bulb/button. Do you feel resistance and hear nothing when you push it several times? If so, there's probably something blocking it between the primer and the intake (clogged jet). If there's mild resistance and you hear fuel shooting into the intake after a couple pushes, your lines/jet are fine and it's something else (did you check the plug?). I highly doubt theres a blockage from your tank to your carb. The fuel line is big compared to the jet and even if it's mostly blocked, you'd likely still be able to get it to start and sputter every once in awhile. I've tinkered with enough funky-runnin' two-cycles to know the first source of such problems is almost ALWAYS in the carb. Generally it's just a matter of pulling it off, taking off the float bowl, and shooting a few good blasts of carb cleaner through the jets. If it's totally blocked, let it sit in there for awhile and shoot it some more. If you're handy with a screwdriver and a few wrenches, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm no engine mechanic, but I have no trouble with this one.

A friend of mine runs a small engine shop and he'd mentioned that particularly last winter, shelf life on gas was really poor and providing him with plenty of business.

Good advice on the carb problems.

Have any of you guys ever busted your main ring gear in the jiffy's transmission case?

I took out a few teeth when the blade jammed going through the last inch of ice. I ordered one from feldman and it was pretty easy to swap out and it's worked super so far.

Also, What's the going rate for getting a good sharpening for a Jiffy Blade? I've got a surface grinder that just sits in the shop (I've made a jig to sharpen my own blades with a nice hollow ground edge that really cuts ice).

I can resharpen blades pretty well and it sure makes the ice drilling job quicker/easier with good sharp edges and corners. You can also hand hone your blade if you've got a nice flat larger size whetstone. But it won't take out chipped/worn tooth corners.

i have had real good luck sharpening my blades on my flying eskimo 8 inch. i just use the same stone i sharpen my fillet knives with. when i come to a knick or gouge, i just try to grind away the jagged edges and call it good. only sharpen the beveled side however. never the flat side. i was hesitant the first time i tried, but i didn't have money for new ones, and figured it was cutting so poorly, i didn't have anything to loose. it worked great. i haven't bought a new set since, and they seem to last a long time too. good fishing!
-----jigglestick-----