• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

am I past the window for seeding new grass this year?

Grant

I have a decent sized area that we never sodded when we built new in 04, I was planning on tilling the heck out of it, grading, rolling and seeding this year... is there still time, and if so, can anyone make any suggestions as to methodology?

thanks

Grant

Temps and rain are looking good for the next week. I soaked my front yard and overseeded it this afternoon. I'm thinking that even 20% success will be great.

You may not need to till it up deeply. I rented a a tractor with a Harley rake that churned up the top layer of dirt and dead grass and followed that up with the seeder attachment. After the Harley rake, i pulled the seeder around to smooth up the ground before loading the seed. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Last year I did a final mowing in the first week of november. This year is cooler and wetter than last year but theat doens't mean anything. I agree that the window is closing. Germination for KY bluegrass is usually 16-21days in ideal conditions. You're talking 2nd week in Oct before things pop. You better get moving.

I seeded my entire lawn a few years ago - but did it in stages. One part I seeded in the spring - turned out well. One part I seeded in the fall - turned out - but not as good as spring. One part I had the ground all ready to go - and I seeded it in late November as the first snow of the winter was starting to fall, and this part turned out the best of all. In the spring I ended up going over it with a light rake/drag and after I did that it took off. I think what you want to avoid is for the seed to germinate yet this fall if we were to get a warm stretch - then it barely starts growing and then freezes hard - it won't kill it off - but it just seems to stunt it somewhat - of course this is all in my opinion.

Yeah, it SHOULD work.

I know there's been a fair amount of discussion over the past couple years of 'winter' seeding.

Basically the snow covers the seed, then when the snow melts it'll slightly bury it into the soil, plus you already have the moisture there.

The biggest gamble you take, is if we get an early snow, and you spread seed, but then the snow melts right away before the seed is somewhat into the ground, and the animals find it.

The Lesco seed I put down on the 8th just sprouted yesterday or over night. Luckily the hard rain yesterday didn't wash away the new grass or the dirt. Those sheets you put over the seeded area sure do help.

Softballguy said it best. Wait till late October early November to spread your seed. Grass seed that is. The grass seed will lay dormant all winter and the when spring melt and spring rains come along your grass will emerge. You may want to lightly rake your seed so it dosen't blow away.