• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris hub oil?

Orlip

I am certain a parts guy told me that once also but wanted to see if any else can confirm. It seems Polaris only sells it in quart bottles now and from what I remember that little bottle was $$$$. confused.gif

What model and what year?

If I were you I would just stick to the Polaris hub fluid.

The type F may work, I think it was used in older units, but I was told it breaks down under heat more so than the polaris hub fluid. You also risk compatability problems with the fluid already in there. It doesnt take much fluid to fill a hub so even though it is kind of overpriced, it won't break you.

There are the newer models with the centralized hub and older models with roller cage type hubs. DO NOT use type F in the centralized hub. I think the centralized hub started in 04?

I may be wrong, but I do know that I have been using the Polaris hub fluid and I have had no issues.

Quote:

Mine is a 2000 6x6.

The Polaris manual says that Type F ATF is an acceptable substitute when Polaris Hub oil is unavailable. Type F is getting hard to find, it is a pretty old spec. As for the price, I can get the Polaris hub oil for about $3.50 - $4.00, and that is good for a year of changes for me. That seems pretty cheap to me. Even if you use all the recommended Polaris fluids for your maintenance, it will only run you about $50 a year, which is pretty cheap for a $7,000 bike.

Is this the fluid you are referring to? ---

Cross reference listing for "Demand-Drive Hub Fluid" Polaris part #2871654 in 8-oz bottle (Sugg price $8.79, Nov 2005), #2872277 in 2.5 gal bottle. Lubricant description: ATV front gear case (differential) lubricant for units with Demand Drive limited slip.

AMSOIL suitable products: Prod. Code AWG, Syn. hyd. oil ISO 22, only available in 5-gal pail or larger; or Prod. Code ATF, Syn Transmission Fluid, $9.05 per quart.