• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How / where to get a soil test.

LwnmwnMan2

Here's a link to the extension service from the University of Minnesota.

It will tell you how to take the soil sample, how to send it, and where to send it to as well.

If you don't want to send it to the U of M, there's usually a local place in your area if you look in your local phone book.

Soil test

So would you guys recommend sending the soil in to get tested or buying a testing kit? Many of my plants have began doing poorly in certain places just in the last two years and was wondering if I need to change something in the soil. Thanks

From my experiences with the extension service, their soil tests give you fair more information then you need. But its still well worth the money.

Just the other day someone went to a rain garden workshop and called me wondering about this very topic. I told her the extension service is her best bet or I could come out and go over her soils with her for my consulting fee which is far higher then the $15 soil test.

http://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/ check out this HSOforum. I just sent a soil sample away today actually. It goes to the u of m. You can figure it out from here im guessing pretty simple. You need to download the PDF file for the form to send along with your soil sample and it shows the process as to how to collect the soil. Look around the webpages it gives pretty good help as far as growing a ballanced lawn! soil sample is 15$ per sample. good luck if you cant get it to work call the number listed and they will guide you through the process.

Originally Posted By: Boogaard
http://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/ check out this HSOforum. I just sent a soil sample away today actually. It goes to the u of m. You can figure it out from here im guessing pretty simple. You need to download the PDF file for the form to send along with your soil sample and it shows the process as to how to collect the soil. Look around the webpages it gives pretty good help as far as growing a ballanced lawn! soil sample is 15$ per sample. good luck if you cant get it to work call the number listed and they will guide you through the process.

Yes, another link to the U of M if you cannot get the first one to work.

Thank you!!

[quote name='LwnmwnMan2

Yes' date=' another link to the U of M if you cannot get the first one to work.

Thank you!! [/quote']

Hello Mr. LwnmwnMan2! Thought I'd swing by and see what's happening over here. Pretty cool.

Buck

I know it's a little early to be worrying about this, but I also know there are some guys getting ancy about their gardens, as well as we're all not from the frozen tundra.

There actually are places where people have green grass right now.

It won't work for them to send their soil to the U of M, but hopefully they can get an idea on where to send a sample locally.

As for the rest of you guys, I'm trying trying to move things to spring as much as I can.

I haven't used the soil test through the AgGrand division (natural organic lawn care products) of AMSOIL for quite a few years and don't know much about it. When I did use it they gave me little usable recommendations on how to fix my lawn.

I would recommend go back to the top post - lawnmowerman posted the U of M link for testing.