• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where to go on lake michigan

I will be vacationing in michigan. I would like to fish for trout and salmon. Where should I go? Also is there any interesting areas to visit in the area?

Thanks for your help!

I grew up in Bessemer, which is just over the WI/MI border or about 2 hrs. East of Duluth. There is Black River Harbor located about 45 min. North of Bessemer which will offer some shore fishing from the breakwall for Cohos and the occasional Brown. There are also numerous waterfalls on the road to Black River Harbor that are very pretty for picture taking, but also hold some fish. Copper Peak Ski Flying hill is also on that route. This is the largest Ski Flying (not jumping) hill in the world. You can ride the chairlift up and then take an elevator to the top of the jump for one of the best views I have ever wittnessed. If you want to bypass Lake Superior and head to Lake Michigan, I suggest driving HWY 2 all the way to Mackinac Island/Bridge. That will take about 7 hrs. from Duluth. Once you cross the bridge, head East on 31 to Traverse City. Traverse City is a great tourist trap and offers some very nice shore fishing as well. Lake Lelenau (sp?) is the name of the town and the lake just outside of Traverse City, but that offers some good inland Lake Trout fishing. HWY-2 is full of neat towns and places to stay. It will take you through Escanaba, Gladstone, Manistique and others that will offer inland fishing, B&B's, restaurants and shops. I used to drive this route a lot as I went to college in the Lower Penninsula, it is a very nice drive if you are not in a hurry. Hope this helps.