• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

perch fishing flashers

I have tried using pimples as flashers for perch and found it to be quite productive. Is there anyone out there consistantly uses this method? Pros and cons? tips? colors? leader length?

I like to use that or a kastmaster with a 6" drop line from it, on those days when the schools are moving quite a bit it seems to keep a few in your area when the rest boogie.

I'm with chiro, I like Kastmasters but with only a 3 inch drop line. I've also tried using a swimming rapala as a flasher too. Just take off the treble hook and cut off the end hooks, then tie it on as you normally would and add a 3-6 inch drop line with a jig attached and you're set. Worked pretty good on Mille Lacs last year when searching for perch on the flats.

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 11-12-2002).]

I was fishing in SD one year It was a little slow & I rigged up a perch call.
Used some old popgeer & a BBQ rotisserie attachment.
It seemed to work ok for the smaller perch For a couple hours, After that all I got was northerns.
You know I might dig that thing out & try it again someday

Coldpole

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I have to add that the Angel Eye Spoon makes an excellant flasher. Has a nice dart to it like a wounded minnow.

Perch can't resist it.

Now thats an excellant idea. I didn't even realize how well that would work. All that action will be great. And setting it up would be easy too. I'll make sure to try that out.

Ok guys, Could you please explain this so maybe "someone" who doesn't know anything about icefishing has a clue about what you're talking about?
I would really - oops, I mean that "person" who knows nothing about icefishing would appreciate it. grin.gif

Clueless - -

-Yeah, I still live up to the name no matter what some people say...

Clueless:

A standard in the perch game is to take a spoon, or jigging rapala or salmo chubby darter, something with lots of flash, and remove the hook and tie it to your line. Then tie a couple inches (no more than 3 inches, or it'll tangle when you jig) of line to the bottom of the lure and add a bare hook or tiny jig. Tip the jig or bare hook with waxies, euro larvae, etc.

Lay 'er down there and jig. The flash brings in the perch. But you know perch. Sometimes, they're aggressive and will smack anything. But more often, they are more particular than a beautiful woman, who's picky in the bar at 8 p.m. but starts lowering her standards toward midnight. If you've only got a flash lure and no trailer, she'll come in because of the flash, see the leanness of your hook setup, eye it awhile and swim away to an angler with more meat.

So you add the trailer and the meat. Perch comes in, attracted to the flash, and you see her edging in on your Vex. You stop it fast and it becomes a dead stick. The perch is still there, eyeing what you've got. And the meat dangles and wiggles and becomes irresistible and the perch, which has sworn off eating for Lent, decides it won't hurt anything, and she can square it with her priest later, if she just takes a little nibble. So the bite is so subtle you can't feel it but the red line of the perch on your Vex merges with the green line of your little meat and you set the hook and start hauling that reluctant perch in from 30 feet down.

Ah, what a game.

Hmmm, just took another look at what I wrote. PLEEEAAASE don't delete it, Rick. It's so full of important stuff a young Bemidji college student like Clueless should know. wink.gif Of course, on Lake Beltrami, where Clueless lives, it's hard to find one over six inches anyway (a perch, darn it, I mean a perch). grin.gif

Good luck,

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-12-2002).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Now thems some words of beauty.

99.9% will understand perfectly.

Unfortunately, clueless is that .01%

Nice job stfcatfish. I take it you've been in the bar from 8pm to close a time or two ehh?

A fast and easy way to add a dropper to a search rig or Chubby darter is a Northland Stinger with the tiny quick clip.

The 3" model is great for lures with more of a aggressive action they tangle less. The longer (tie your own) 4-6" droppers for below less aggressive spoons or jigs as they tend to fowl up more on the main line.

With the stingers I pinch back the barbs to allow maggots to stay fresh and whole. With a minnow head I use the double barb portion of the treble and pinch back the other two.

The stingers are a fast easy way to quick change out a drop or search rig, even at night or in the serious cold.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I am with fishnfool, I used to use a lure made by rapala called a pilki, it had a little longer drop chain on it than the Hali. These pilkis were so popular on my home lakes that when they quite making them a local guy started making his own to satisfy the demand. When nils came out with the Hali a few years ago I was jumpin' with joy.

Catfish Thanks for the perch rig explanation, but could you explain what you use for the jig that gets attached to the flasher. Is it just a hook with molded lead? Here on Lake Champlain fish eyes are used for the meat but they are messy and tough on the hands in cold weather. I have seen guys use the Swedish Pimple but substitute the treble with a single hook and bait with an eye.

I use the Angel Eye Minnow Spoon as a flash lure to attract fish. When using the Angel Eye Spoon as a dropper I tie it directly to my line upside down (head down). I have found this very productive in water that is stained or discolored. Even in clear water fish will often times be curious to check out the flash.

In my box I always have a good supply of Scenic Tackle Dropper Line Attachments with fast snaps tied to each end. This allows me to clip on the Dropper Line to the flash lure and attach a small jig or plain hook to the other end. Changing jigs is then very easy without any tying.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

Alright, now that everybody knows how to pick up women at the bar....... What about the length of the drop line? Somebody said 3" and 6", Anybody dare go longer? I usually keep it around 8" Any body tried using them on a dead stick or rattle reel?

I'd like to add the Custom Jigs slip dropper; it's "claim to fame" is its adjustability. I have a few, but can't say that I've used them yet. I like the halis, since I can more easily switch lures with these over the slip dropper. I have done OK with the halis the last 2 winters, and even used them near the end of this last summer. Caught a few nice bluegill, along with those #!@% pesky sheaphead...

eyes317

stoneeyes317,
I've never got a close up look at those slip droppers, do they use little rubber rings for the adjustability? If so how well do they hold up and if not what do they use?

Perca:

You can use little hooks with tapered lead heads marketed for panfish. There are any number of these out there and most ice tackle companies offer some. Some are made so small and have tapered tiny plastic bodies that they mimic invertebrates that perch/pannies sometimes feed on. You can use a small bare hook of whatever color you like, too.

I've had good luck on perch eyes. Hungry perch will eat them. Neutral/negative fish are more responsive to the wiggle of waxworms or eurolarvae.

If you tie your dropper line longer than 3 or at most 3.5 inches, it gets tangled easily in the flash lure. Some tie it longer and put up with that, but I like to avoid the hassle.

But I don't start out for perch with these rigs. I start with small jigging spoons and small jigging rapalas tipped with a minnow head. Best to start with the most aggressive presentation, because if the fish are turned on, you may never have to worry about the subtle stuff.

Perch being perch, the aggressive approach only works less than half the time, and perch seem to be most active, even under ice, on sunny days.

Good luck.

Not only does this work great on perch but Crappies and walleye.

For crappies, I prefer a nice small spoon with a 6-8 inch Flourocarbon dropper. I tie a small hook to the dropper and hook a crappie minnow throught the back. This works really good below a slip bobber allows you to get back down very fast.

For walleye I like to use a 4-6 inch Flourocarbon dropper with a single hook. When jigging the spoon the trailing minnow is much easier to catch then one hooked directly to the spoon. This has worked real good on LOW for me.

For perch I take it a step farther. I like to use a 6" dropper but I tie a Genz worm to it. That seems to work really good. As someone said earlier, the spoon brings them in and the the Genz Worm tipped with a Waxie is like the Fresh Frosty Beer sitting on the bar with your name on it! Good Luck Scott Steil

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited 11-14-2002).]

Must be pretty hard to write your name on a waxie............Oh you were saying the beer had your name on it. It must be a Guiness. It's pretty easy to write you name on the top of Guiness.....Where's the ice?

Flyingfish-nice to have you back? Where have you been? Certainly not ice fishing yet. Soon though!! Maybe you should tell everyone how you catch all those Jumbo Perch, you seem to get out A LOT!! Scott