• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plan your fishing tournaments now the DNR says, and don't forget about the new fees:

2008 Tournament Fishing

I read an article at the Strib that was an interesting take

In land of lakes, new fishing fees roil waters

The thing that makes me shrug my shoulders in the column is getting riled up about $400 when you're paying out $30,000 in prize money. That's 1.3% of the prize money. No one likes getting nickeled and dimed to death, but we pay extra for luxuries, not necessities.

It seems that all the sudden there is some accountability for running these events and some directors seem to think its ludicrous to begin monitoring the tournament's effects on the economy and the resource.

I hope the fees don't push tournaments out of lakes because it isn't fair to those anglers, but at the same time there are some ramifications of tournament angling, particularly with off-site weigh-ins.

I don't think the fees are a big deal, but I'm sure someone will disagree with me.

“By limiting the number of contests held on any lake or stream on a monthly basis, we are addressing the concerns of lake users that fishing tournaments disturb their fishing, swimming, boating and other water recreation,”

"accessible to or shared by all members of the community"is a definition of public according to webster.

Why didn't the DNR come up with some plan to just ban a certain amount of lakes every 3 years or so. Make a list of all the lakes and put them in groups. Every 3rd year, a group would be banned for any tournament fishing of any kind, just recreation fishing. If our lakes are getting overfished because of bass tournaments, as they say. Then I'm not sure why this plan wouldn't help this issue. By giving the lake a full years break. You wouldn't put all the top lakes together either. Like Minnetonka wouldn't be on the same list with Vermilion and Pokegama.

Make's sense?