• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spider lake trail by pine river

icecold

Has anyone rode this system lately, Im thinking about taking wife and kids up for a weekend trip. I suppose it is bone dry and dusty this time of year?? also How old does a kid need to be in order to ride hisown atv on statetrails??

It'll be dusty until we get some rain alright,nice trails but from what I've seen you could cover them in a days ride easily. Might consider the Paul Bunyan State Forest Trails/Martineau system roughly a half hour further north for a weekend ride. Quite a trail system there. Not sure what age kids have to be but would assume they would have to had completed their ATV training course to ride public land (mine aren't of age yet). Should be able to find out on the DNR HSOforum or likely someone will chime in here. Spider is a nice ride though! If you ride Martineau,stop in for a burger at the Stompin Grounds, good eats and they cater to off road enthusiasts.

I ride spider lake alot,and there is alot more trails there than the maps show. It is easy to put on 100 miles there. the main trail runs from leader to up past hackensack with many trails inbetween. but it will be really dusty right now

jtm, thanks for the info, is there any maps availible that show the trails from leader, northward ? are the trails connected to spider lake trails and hackensack.? Thanks for any info smile.gif

Quote:

How old does a kid need to be in order to ride hisown atv on statetrails??

To ride on public land you need to be age 12 or older, and have completed the atv safety course, then you still cant drive along roads untill you have a DL.

I havent seen any good maps but if you stay on the snow way #1 and bull moose trail you will find many other trails that branch off, and many return to the main trail. A gps can be good to have on the north side as trails are not marked real well and can be cofuseing. the most of the trails run from spider lake area to the north. smile.gif

It is a very nice trail system. Good variety of riding. I've been up there twice. A one day trip with the wife and a three day camping trip with the family. Very fun trail system for all. There is more than enough trail to go exploring for an entire weekend and then some. The 26 miles listed on the DNR site must be outdated. The trails are marked quite well but a GPS really helps out.

Guess I'll have to try more "exploring"! I go over there riding either dirt bike or wheelers several times a year and have never discovered this amount of trails. I prefer to stick with designated trails however, one just isn't sure where he's allowed these days.

Good point Cast. We always hear of these trails that "Branch Off" the main trails.

I'm not saying that anyone here is riding illegally. But if the DNR site is that outdated, then it definitely needs to be fixed. If there are no trail markers on these trails, then it's best to stay off.

the trails north are across hwy 2. and there is a gas station in leader as well as the bears den rest/bar. I would recomend bringing gas if you plan on driving the whole snoway. You can also get gas off the snosnake trail which goes to hackensake. And to be clear most these trails are marked, but people keep stealing the sighns and posted maps smile.gif