• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Center Seat for canoe?

I have an 18' gruman marathon canoe. I was wondering if there are any seats on the market I can just set into the middle for my son to sit on when 3 of us are fishing out of the canoe? I would like it to rest on the gunals so he isn't sitting on the floor and can help paddle to start to learn how. I see pelican has a third seat with a cooler built into it. Does that just set into the canoe or is it mounted?

Thanks, Moose

Adding a center seat is fine if you keep the center of gravity low. Spring Creek makes a seat/yoke for canoes that does that fairly well. You'll need to remover your center thwart and install some hardware. The seat flips around from portaging to seat mode. You can get a drop in seat as well.

Old Town makes a simple drop-in plastic seat that works well. I think it runs about $50. Lot's of places have them. Check the HSOforum to get a visual on it then call around to gander, cabelas, Dick's, etc.....anyone that might have Old Town canoes and accessories will know what you are talking about.

Look at the Spring Creek Outfitters HSOforum. They are in Mountain Iron, and everything they make is quality stuff. They are a good Minnesota company that actually spends time in canoes, I can't recommend their seat/yoke highly enough, and they also make a drop in seat that I am sure is just fine.