• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

not my year...

lawdog

OK another weird boat problem, this time with my fishing boat, a 1991 Alumacraft Classic Deluxe 16 ft with a Merc Classic 40 hp motor. Today, the little beep that tells you you have power when you turn the key on, turned into a steady tone that doesn't shut off until the key if turned off again. Motor ran fine, but this noise is obviously not right and I couldn't make it quit???? confused.gif

Ideas?

I had it happen to me one time too. The constant alarm but motor ran fine. Found a bare spot in the wire was shorting out. It was pinching where the tiller handle hinged. Taped it up and that took care of it.

Did you have to take the handle apart to find the bad wire? I looked over all the external wires and couldn't see anything as soon as it started.

I also know its not hot as this was as soon as it started, but I suppose it could be getting a false hot signal???

It could be that the over temp sender is shorted out - you would need to look in the rear of the block or around the head area for a sensor embedded in the block with one wire coming out of it - follow that wire until you find a spot where you can disconnect it. Disconnect it and turn the key on - if the alarm went away you've isolated the problem. If not keep looking - I would guess it's as others have said then, a grounded out wire.

marine_man